Wow this is an amazing cream of toato recepie!

BrigitteD
on 9/13/11 1:57 am - Sumerstown, Canada

Ingredients:
4 cups ripe tomatoes (approximately 5 large tomatoes), peeled, seeded and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
1/3 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
1/2-1 cup light cream
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh basil or fresh dill, chopped (optional)
salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation:
1. Place all the ingredients (except the cream and basil or dill, if using) in a large saucepan.
2. Simmer for about 30 minutes (or until the vegetables are soft).
3. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetable mixture to your preferred smoothness.
4. Add the light cream (1/2 cup or up to 1 cup, to taste and depending on the flavor of the tomatoes).
5. Heat the soup gently over low heat.
6. Before serving, stir in some fresh herbs (if using), and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the soup hot or chilled.

Servings: 4

Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories: 119
Calories from fat: 61
Total fat: 6.9g
Cholesterol: 19mg
Total carbs: 10.9g
Protein: 5g

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

BrigitteD
on 9/13/11 1:59 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I will not be using the sugar!
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 2:06 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I wouldn't leave out the sugar as sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes.  It's only 1/2 tsp over the whole pot so you won't even notice it in there as far as sugar content does but it may change the taste of your soup.
BrigitteD
on 9/13/11 3:36 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I was thinking of replacing it whit gratted carots. Carots are very sweet!
Megan M.
on 9/13/11 3:48 am - Canada
I wonder how it would taste if ou switched the light cream for green yogurt.  You'd boost the protein as well.  This sounds very good.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

BrigitteD
on 9/13/11 4:11 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I don't know but I'm putting low fat soured cream this time higher in protein 1 g instead of 0.3g.  And I haded garlic  ummm!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Megan M.
on 9/13/11 4:18 am - Canada
Green yogurt?  Of course I meant greek!  I dont' even want to consider what green yogurt tastes like!

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics