Approved for DS! Now to wait for a date...

PaulaToronto
on 9/16/11 5:24 am - Toronto, Canada
Really fabulous news Jeff.  You must be so excited.  Do you know what size bougie and cc Dr. Gagner will give you?  I think you will have tremendous success with him behind you.  Don't know if you go to the DS board but having been on that board for years, the people are extremely helpful and yes some are rabid supporters of DS but you don't need to engage in that stuff. I learned so much on that board.  I would highly recommend you introduce yourself to them - there is so much support there and many men too.
Jeff Z.
on 9/16/11 5:36 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Hi Paula,

In some of my correnspondence with Dr. Gagner he said my stomach MAY need to be reduced further, however I already made a post some weeks back where I had concerns with that and felt whatever I have now is perfectly fine.  I don't know what the results of my upper GI were, but I'm sure this is something that he and I may discuss.

My preference is to leave the stomach alone and just do the switch, but I'll wait and see what is suggested and what my options are.

I've lurked around the DS board, made one or two posts (basically just reply to posts Jennifer D. had made, lol), and that was about it.  And yes, I will definitely be sterring clear of the fanatics.  I don't like getting caught up in surgery wars.  Each one is as effective as the next and that is how I see it.

As I said to Jennifer...right now my biggest cocnern is finding vitamins/supplements that will work post-op and are not big freaking horse pills.  I don't want to have to chop them up either.  I'm sure I'll find something that'll work.  The actual required vitamins/supplements was not soemthing I spent a great deal of time researching (recently anyway), due to being told I'd have to settle for a VSG as part one of a potential two stage approach.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

PaulaToronto
on 9/16/11 5:47 am, edited 9/16/11 5:48 am - Toronto, Canada
One a Day now has an adult gummy multivit. Dont know the details on it as yet but it would be so much easier even though more expensive to chew a few of those than try to swallow the horse pills.  I gag too. St. Joe's recommends Materna which are just huge.  I am to cut them in three post surgery. This is going to be hard since I almost barf taking an advil.  I'm heading to Costco next week to see what they have.  I use their Wellese liquid calcium and Vit D and it goes down well and absorbs well according to my Bloodwork. I've tried chewable vits but again have to fight to get them down.  I am going to try the gummys and see how they are.

I know that a lot of the DS vets on our board have to buy certain vits in the states through Vitalady - she is fabulous and is often on the DS board - or other sources.  I think the high dose vit D are still not available in Canada in a dry formulation and you won't absorb the oil version.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 1:35 am - Sudbury, Canada
To be completely honest if i had left my stomach alone when I had my DS, i wouldn't have gotten to where I am today. the restriction is a tool that will teach you what you need to do, now that i'm at 2.5 years out of my DS I can eat like a "NORMAL" person..

Reflect what you put in your mouth every day, when i was 400lbs, i didn't think I ate a lot either, but when I sit and compare to what a regular person eats and what I eat now.. I over ate.

Before you say I would rather leave my stomach the way it is, track you daily food intake for a long time.. MY 2 big macs I used to have are at a far reach and i don't even miss it.. i have a few bites and i'm over it or i just eat the meat.

Also, think about all your carbs you eating, Pasta, rice, sugar, chips, all of it..i hate pasta now..all those things will NOT help your weight loss.. the Malabsorption is just a SMALL part of the DS not enough on it's own to do the massive weight loss you're looking for.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 1:38 am - Sudbury, Canada
Unless they have already removed some of your stomach at the cleavland clinic? I'm slowly starting to peice together from what i remember a long time ago on there now I don't really come on anymore
Most Active
Recent Topics