Approved for DS! Now to wait for a date...

Jeff Z.
on 9/16/11 2:33 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 So just before I was going to turn in for the night (well my night anyway, heh) at 8:30am I checked my email and noticed a response from someone at the MOH.

The email said that I was approved for surgery and that a letter was couriered, but I suspect it was sent to my old address.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get in for surgery before December (which was my goal when I started the whole process).  I'd very much like to get as close to my goal weight as possible by my 28th birthday (January 2012).  Or at the very least below 300lbs.

I saw a few photos from when I was 15 and was somewhere around 300-330lbs and while I was big, I seemed so small compared to what I am now.  For years I said that if I could snap my fingers and magically be 300lbs for the rest of my life I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I'll certainly be interested to see what 300lbs looks like on my adult frame when I get to that point.

I do not think this is an unrealistic goal, especially considering with another 100-150lbs I'll be able to incorporate much more physical activity into my routine.

At any rate I just wanted to give an update.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Karen M.
on 9/16/11 2:36 am - Mississauga, Canada
Jeff, that is fantastic news!! I'm thrilled for you.  Who is going to do your surgery? Dr. Gagner?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jeff Z.
on 9/16/11 4:59 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks Karen.

Yes, Dr. Gagner was my surgeon of choice and I felt it was probably my best option (no offence towards Dr. Hong or his skills as a surgeon).  

Certainly put a positive spin on what has been a rather dull and crappy week as a couple days were spent "in denial" with respect to my grandmothers passing back in May.  It comes and goes, but when it hits me I am usually floored by it.

It is hard when you are used to speaking to her every day or every other day at the most.  I have regrets...mainly her not seeing me as a slim chap.  

Anyway I'm deifnitely going to digress on that...things are moving forward and that is what matters most now.  Just need to get all my ducks in a row re: vitamins/supplements, etc.

I'm hoping (not going to hold my breath), that my wealthy grandfather will consider helping with the vitamin/supplement costs as that would seriously put a huge strain on my low monthly income.  Not really much I can cut out of my budget these days.

Anyway I think it's time to hit the sack!  I have been up for over 24 hours now!

App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)

flyingwoman
on 9/17/11 1:38 am
 I know how you feel... my best friend of 18 years died in January less than 3 weeks after my surgery. He had been critical to the process of my preparing for and getting through surgery and I talked to him every day. His death was sudden and completely unexplained and left me heartbroken. Over the course of the last eight months, it continues to come and go, and when it hits, it still hits me so hard it nearly knocks me down.

He wanted this so much for me, and I regret that he never got to see me do it... and the active, world-engaged - successfully living my life in a way I haven't in years - me is deeply regretful that in the last 10 years or so I had spent less one on one adventure time with him because my weight (and corresponding social anxiety) had gotten so bad that I rarely went out.

Sorry about your loss of your grandmother, I hope your grandad helps, and more than anything CONGRATS on your DS approval! You are doing so amazing, keep it up!

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
mom4life
on 9/16/11 2:40 am - Port Rowan, Canada
Jeff,

I am very happy to hear that things are going to continue to move for you.  I suspect you must mean January 2013 to reach that goal, since you surely can't be talking about losing 100-150lbs by this January.

Lori

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

Jeff Z.
on 9/16/11 4:50 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Yes...see what no sleep does to my brain?  It makes me think we are in 2010 still, lol.

Although, 100-150lbs 4 months would be alright in my books too, heh!

Cheryl D.
on 9/16/11 3:21 am - Toronto, Canada
Congratulations Jeff!  That is great news.

Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

Jeff Z.
on 9/16/11 5:00 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Thanks Cheryl!

sam1am
on 9/16/11 5:08 am

I'm sooooo happy for you Jeff!

Cheers!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

sueberman
on 9/16/11 5:12 am
I'm so happy for you, I can't wait to watch your progress and your wows.

Cheers
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Most Active
Recent Topics