New with some questions!

thenewbre
on 9/17/11 1:13 pm
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just recieved my surgery date of Nov. 23 with Dr. Sohi. I am so excited.
My question for everyone was how long they were off work for? I have an active job, and Dr. Sohi said 4-6 weeks, but I am able to be accomodated and honestly can't imagine being off that long so just wondering how long others were off.

Also wondering when you follow up with the surgeon ( I moved in the midst of all this and can't find my booklet!!!)

Thanks everyone!!
runjoeyrun16
on 9/17/11 10:32 pm
hi there!
well, i had saved up all my personal and vacation days so i was able to take 4 weeks off work. (i am a preschool teacher). physically, i felt good enough to go back after a couple days. but i really wanted the extra time off to because it felt like a full time job getting all the fluids in. i wanted time to get used to my new way of eating/drinking. i had the time, so i figured i'd take it. but like i said, physically, i felt fine to go back really quickly.
August 20th, 2009 - Referral for WLS from family doctor
May 17th, 2010 - Orientation at Windsor Hospital
May 26th, 2010 - Appointment with nurse and SW
June 1st, 2010 - Appointment with NUT and doctor
August 31st, 2010 - Follow up with SW, NUT and doctor
October 7th, 2010 - Surgical Education Class
November 2nd, 2010 - Consultation with Dr. Jules Foute Nelong
December 21st, 2010 - SURGERY DAY!
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 11:20 pm - Canada
From my personal experience I found that getting from one stage to the next and managing my food and fluids and vitamins a full time job. The timing may  be a challenge in the work place...well for me anyway. You need to plan everything that goes in your mouth for the first few months at lease.
Even though you might feel good in a week....if you can, give yourself time to adapt to you new life.
Wishing you all the best in your journey.
Joy
Brenda T.
on 9/17/11 11:21 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Welcome to the forum and on your surgery date. I'm just at the beginning and can't offer any advice.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Jennifer D.
on 9/17/11 11:24 pm, edited 9/17/11 11:25 pm
I went back less than 2 weeks out. I liked going back to work early because it kept my mind off of food. I planned the night before for that but kept myself from obsessing (because I would). I teach so I am on my feet but nothing physical really (avoiding teens in the hall was a little tricky) but otherwise all has been well.
Karen W.
on 9/18/11 12:28 am - Canada
I went back after 4 weeks, but was very low energy for probably about a month after I went back.  My job isn't physical, but requires a lot of focus and emotional energy.  I found that I was finally able to feel "normal" and like I was really up for my job once I was able to increase my caloric intake to about 800 calories/day which, for me, was about 2 1/2 months out.

RNY April 11, 2011       

StevesGal
on 9/18/11 3:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
I was off for 6 weeks, but could have stayed off for 8.  I think 6 weeks is a good length of time - it gives you time to recoup without worrying about work.  I found that I napped quite a bit for 2 months post-op, and it gave me time to go from eating level to level without having to add thinking ahead for eating at work.  I work in an office, so I didn't have the lifting restrictions to worry about as much as the concentration and travel time.

If your doctor recommends it, and your work can accommodate it, I would recommend taking at least 6 weeks.

Good luck!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

ibed
on 9/18/11 4:34 am
congrats on getting your date, it'll be here in no time.  i was off work for 6 weeks, i went through Guelph and at the 5th week i was supposed to start soft foods.  i was worried about getting something stuck or dumping at work so asked manulife for another week - wasn't a problem and felt very comfortable starting after 6 weeks.  i don't have a physical job but a very mental one and couldn't imagine going back any earlier then 4 weeks at least.  a friend of mine who has a physical job and sometimes is exposed to abuse (part of the job) and she said she took 8 weeks as Dr wanted to make sure nothing wrong could happen if she got hit in the tummy.  your surgeon/rn/dietetion or family dr should be able to help you narrow down an approx return date as everyones situation and tollerance to pain and physical changes due to wls surgery are different.

debi.,
Most Active
Recent Topics