TWH

wanttobeslimtam
on 10/8/11 5:37 am - sault ste. marie, Canada
I've done everything at TWH but had the luck of going to meet the surgeon on a day where the surgeon was from St. Mike's, not doubting their skill but people who met the surgeon the week before and the week after me at TWH were given a surgeon from TWH and either have had their surgery or are slated for theirs next week.  Me on the other hand have no idea when my surgery will be and have been given a vague hint that they are booking into 2012, whatever that may mean.  So if i had the choice been a place you are comfortable and a known timeline of 4 months or the unknown of TWH I think I personally would choose the former.  This is just my 2 cents worth though.

referral sent August 2010  orientation May 25 nurse June 30  social/nut Aug 16 

psych/nut aug 23 meet the surgeon sept 9 surgery November 24

northernlight
on 10/8/11 8:20 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I'm trying to understand this but I'm getting very confused by some of these answers.   HELP! These posts raise new questions for me....

So, it sounds as though, if I get my call to come up to TWH to meet the surgeon, he may not be a doc who actually practices at TWH? He might be from St Michael's or Toronto East and I might be told that I'm having my surgery at one of those hospitals instead? Does the registry just arrange for all the patients to meet their surgeons at TWH, as a matter of convenience?  If I want to have my WLS done at  TWH, do I make that known when they call me to make the appt to come to Toronto to meet the surgeon? I have nothing at all against St Michael's (Toronto East I've never really heard anyone talk much about, so I'd rather not go there) but it sounds as though choosing St Michael's means a longer wait for surgery - likely not until 2012, whereas those choosing TWH are being given their dates much sooner & are being told their surgery date right at their appt with the surgeon.

Boy, just when I think that I've got things figured out, something else comes up & throws me for a loop!

This is quite a roller-coaster ride!!!!!!!

Deb

Leslie W.
on 10/8/11 8:50 am - Cobourg, Canada
All appointments and followups are done at TWH regardless which of the 3 sites you have your surgery. The 3 sites take their turn doing the surgeon appointments(clinic). So who ever is doing the clinic the day of your appointment is the hospital you get.
So if you get TEG all your followup will be done at TWH.
When I met with Dr. Jackson he mentioned that even though I was meeting with him he still may not be the one doing the surgery. I guess I'll find on Tuesday. The same with the Anesthesiologist. I met with one but she said it may not be her.

To get TWH I would just ask when you get the call for your appoinment. Western gives you your date before you leave. As others have mentioned St Mikes will call. They have a longer wait list.

We are told at orientation we are told that it could be at one of the 3 sites but you can request, it may mean a longer wait though.

Good luck.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
northernlight
on 10/8/11 9:26 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Leslie! Thanks for the explanation - basically it sounds like the luck of the draw and you have a chance of getting a doc from any of the sites.  My clinic doctor prefers St Michael's but I think I will go with TWH & will tell that to whoever I speak to when I get the call. If it delays it a bit, oh well - I've already waited this long, what's a bit longer?

Good luck to you Leslie - your big day is getting SO close! All the best to you!!!

Deb 

pinkjellybean
on 10/8/11 5:50 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I plan to request to have my surgery occur at TWH and I have heard that people have been successful at doing so.  Even if its the St. Mikes/TEGH team that is given to me when they call I plan to tell them I am willing to wait to remain at the TWH site - I can't image they would not do it.  I find they very friendly and quite willing to work with you at TWH.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

pinkjellybean
on 10/8/11 8:46 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
It's quite easy to explain.....

Toronto Western is the hub where all of the pre and post surgical appointments are done.

After you are approved for your surgery you are referred to a surgeon that is on the team.  These doctors are from one of 3 hospitals in Toronto - Toronto Western, St. Michaels, and Toronto East General - they are all qualified surgeons - the Toronto Western Program has had 0 (zero) patients die as the result of the surgery so I think it's pretty safe to say that you are safe in the hands of any of the doctors in the program.  There is one surgeon at St. Michaels who seems to have a longer wait time from meeting him to actual surgery day but they are all qualified surgeons.

My preference to have my surgery at TWH has to do with childcare during my hospital stay and that alone and it's close proximity to our home

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

northernlight
on 10/8/11 9:21 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Melissa, I agree with you that all the docs are well qualified.  I know of more posters who have gone thru TWH & I like the fact that you are given your date when you meet the surgeon, so I think I will request it when they call.

Deb

TarosMJ
on 10/8/11 12:41 pm - St. Charles, Canada
 When I had my surgeon appt at TWH it was with Dr. Aarts who is from TEGH.  I received my surgery date that same day but I was told by her that the Dr. doing the surgery that day would be Dr. Cyriac.  I had my surgery on Sep 21 at TEGH with Dr. Cyriac and I have nothing but nice things to say.  He did a wonderful job and I am more than pleased with the outcome.
Tammy
Aug 26/10 - Referral sent to TWH; Sep 07/10 - Sleep study in North Bay; Mar 21/11 - Letter received from TWH re: orientation; Apr 13/11 - Orientation; Jun 02/11 - Nurse & Social Worker; Jul 20/11 - Nutrition Class; Jul 21/11 - Dietician & Psychiatrist; Aug 26/11 - Surgeon; Sep 21/11 - Surgery

Karen_TO
on 10/10/11 2:28 am
Just to clarify for those going through TWH, the surgeon you meet with may not be the one doing the actual surgery, although they will be part of the team. There are actually two surgeons present during the procedure. I met with Dr. Cyriac who works out of TEGH, but the actual procedure was performed by Dr. Aarts who I met just before the surgery - these two surgeons work as a team and both are based at TEGH. Whether or not you get your date on the day you meet with the surgeon has nothing to do with which site you have your procedure at - it simply depends on scheduling.

charolli
on 10/10/11 8:01 am - Canada
I have been trying to get switched from St. Mikes...but not having much luck. I've been told surgery at St Mikes is some time in 2012, but they have no way of estimating when....If i had known that i could have requested to stay at TWH i would have....i have even seen Dr Urbach from TWH for testing twice in the last 2 years and stil was sent to st. Mikes....all very frustrating.....you would think with a registery there would be some fairness with the process.

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics