TWH

Tracey H.
on 10/8/11 3:52 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I am a bit confused. Another poster just informed me that just because I choose TWH, it doesn't mean that I will actually have my surgery there.

They indicated that I could get sent to another one of the Toronto hospitals.

How often does this really happen? I'm not comfortable going anywhere other than TWH if that is what I choose over Guelph.

Anyone have this happen to them? Did anyone choose TWH and get sent elsewhere? If so, why?

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/8/11 4:00 am - Windsor, Canada
Toronto's system is networked which means there are a few hospitals that fall into their network of hospitals.  Kind of like how Windsor has Met and IODE, they serve different populations in the area with of course, Toronto being so big.

Here's the outline and the doctors associated with each.

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/Toronto-Western-Hospital.aspx

I've heard great care from all.  Most intially from Windsor were referred to St. Michaels but now they are sending to more.   

Most of our patients from Windsor have had the TWH doctors or St. Michaels.

I think you'd get great quality care regardless. I really haven't heard anyone whose talked negative of the Ontario hospitals to be honest. The standard of care seems to be good regardless. 

I know you were saying you were concerned because of your weight.  Regardless, I think the common practice is that more complicated cases go to the more experienced doctors on the team.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Tracey H.
on 10/8/11 4:08 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thanks so much Dawn. As you can see i'm quite concerned with where I go and which surgeon that I have. I'm kind of undecided between Guelph and TWH - Guelph was my first initial choice (Dr. Reed) but if I go to Guelph and don't have Dr Reed then it makes choosing Guelph over TWH useless. I know that there are great surgeons at TWH as well as Guelph, I've just not heard much about any of the other surgeons at the other Toronto hospitals.

My weight is definately an issue, i also have lymphedema and blood clots run in my family (not me personally, but immediate family members) so I really want an experienced surgeon.

This is really stressing me out.

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/8/11 4:24 am - Windsor, Canada
Yes I understand.

Going into the prospect of surgery, this was my exact thinking too for hubby. Hubby is insulin dependent diabetic, high blood pressure, neuropathy, high cholesterol etc etc.  I've had a lot of worries with his health concerns and surgery. Going into surgery, I had virtually no comorbidities compared to him.  That is one reason (among others) that we were choosing Guelph ourselves.  Geographics were also a concern for us.

I went in hoping from the start for Dr. Reed. But over the months have heard so much great stuff about the other doctors that I knew I'd be okay with any doctor from Guelph to be honest...but when we got the phone call on Friday, it totally made me thrilled that Dr. Reed is the surgeon we are meeting.  (Of course, who knows that could change on the day of as that is not unheard either) but I do feel REALLY good about Dr. Reed to be honest.

Maybe you need to do yourself a favour then and pick the wait for Guelph over the immediacy of TWH.  A big part of this procedure is your comfort level and if it is going to give you more sleep and better thoughts to go with your original plan then maybe that is what you need to do.  I mean to get to the 2 weak freak point and have too much worry about it might do you more harm than good especially when you'll be dealing with Optifast at the same time.  If it truly makes a difference to you and calms you down, then maybe the four month delay that it may take for Guelph is worth it in the long run.  

Only you can decide for yourself and I think comfort level with your surgeon is indeed a big factor worth considering.  If your mind is at ease, it definitely makes the whole process much easier.  But you are going to possibly have to make a sacrifice and that will be in the wait for  your surgery. Good luck making your decision.

Dawn

BTW My response in no way reflects any issue or problem with TWH surgeons.  I have heard nothing but awesome things.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Tracey H.
on 10/8/11 4:28 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thanks so much Dawn, you really are a wealth of knowledge and I soooo respect your advise.

You've really given me some things to think about and put my mind at ease.

Thanks again!

Tracey H.
on 10/8/11 6:40 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I know the death rate at TWH is zero. How about Guelph? Is it Zero as well?

PatXYZ
on 10/8/11 4:26 am
One of the surgeons out of the TWH program is the head of surgery for St. Mike's (Dr. Rotstein). Nobody on the bariatrics teams are newbies - we are a high risk surgical group which requires a high level of skill and experience. TWH has yet to experience a single death in their program and I found them to be interested, caring and professional and would not hesitate to recommend the program to anyone. If you are assigned to TWH you will do your whole assessment there and then be assigned to a surgeon. If you are willing to wait, you can even request a particular surgeon. Depending on who your surgeon is, your actual surgery will be at Toronto General East, St. Michael's, or TWH, depending upon the hospital that your particular surgeon works from. Personally, as the wait time at TWH is much shorter than Guelph, I'd say you'd be lucky to be transferred there.
Tracey H.
on 10/8/11 4:31 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thanks Pat!

I'm from Windsor, and I've already done my whole assessment process and have been given the green light for surgery. 

I am now just waiting on my surgical class and my file is being referred to the hospital of choice.

PatXYZ
on 10/8/11 6:14 am
Then I would research the surgeons and choose a hospital based on a surgeon you feel comfortable with. Then when they call you to book the appointment you can tell them which surgeon you'd like to book with. At TWH the surgeon you meet with is the surgeon who performs your surgury, I don't know if that is the same at Guelph.
monique_lite2b
on 10/8/11 7:12 am - North Bay, Canada
Hi there!  I having been doing all appointments through TWH and received a call last week to meet the surgeon.  Dr. Aarts @ TEG on October 21.  I was told I might receive my surgery date at the time ofthe appointment.  I'm hoping.
Most Active
Recent Topics