Surgery wait times

allie_56
on 10/19/11 9:37 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13
Hello - I am new to this site and the ON forum. I have just been referred for bypass (live in Waterloo). Can anyone provide me with an update on surgery wait times - surgery will be in Guelph. I have a lot of conflicting info - ranging from 1.5 years to 9 months. Also, when my dr. first sent my referral in, I emailed the OBN at St. Joes and they said they did not have it so we re-faxed again - has anyone had this happen? I would really appreciate feedback. I look foward to staying connected to this forum for support on my new journey.
Thanks! Allie
Brenda T.
on 10/19/11 10:16 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Welcome to the forum. :)
Your doctor needs to have sent your referral to the Registry first. http://www.bariatricregistry.ca  And then it gets sent to the hospital you will be assigned to.
Feel free to ask anything here, great people here to help.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

allie_56
on 10/20/11 8:46 am - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13
Thanks Brenda - my referral has been sent, mid-Oct. I know I need to be patient, I am just nervous about everything falling into place
Leslie W.
on 10/19/11 10:22 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I believe your wait times are on target. For me it was 14 months.
Welcome to the forum

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
NervousNelly57
on 10/19/11 10:58 pm - Guelph, Canada
My surgery is next month in Guelph, which makes it 15 months since referral.  I think most Guelph surgeries are 12 -18 months from referral these days.

Good luck with your journey!

Sharon

RubyTues
on 10/19/11 11:23 pm - Canada
my referral from family doc was May 2009 and my first actual appt with the Guelph team was March 2010 I have my meeting with the surgeon tomorrow actually so I should get my surgery date at that time. I'm guessing it's going to be in 2 mos so that would put me around Jan.
So if going by my referral date then wow.. that makes this process 2 mos short of 2 years!

I just put it out my mind a bit waited knowing it would eventually happen. Now I'm sure it will seem like things are happening too quick LOL
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 1:44 am - Guelph, Canada
 no there is a LOT  longer wait at Guelph now... from referral to surgery i am looking @ 21 months
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 1:47 pm
my referrel was sent last june 2010 and I meet the surgeon - so I am guessing it will be a 19 month journey
Allaryanna
on 10/23/11 10:37 am, edited 10/23/11 10:37 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 Mine will be about 27 months from referral to surgery.  Some of that was was because my referral got"lost" during  the registry creation, you shouldn't run into that.

As well I had misinformation re: smoking.  The nurse at my doctors office clued me in to the smoke free requirement in October.  I talked to Guelph when she told me and  I was originally told that I needed to be 3 months smoke free prior to seeing a surgeon.  So I quite smoking the next Day OCtober 8/2010, I count that as my second birthday.  Then found out during orientation in December that I needed to be 6 months smoke free before having my first appointments.  So that pushed my first appointments back to the end of April Due to scheduling because they wouldn't even schedule my appointments till i was 3 months clean of cigarettes.  

I am now 1 year plus smoke free don't miss it and eagerly await my surgeons appointment and surgery...

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Most Active
Recent Topics