Surgeon's Appointment this morning

C. McMillan
on 11/1/11 12:44 am - Ottawa, Canada
Just got back from my appointment with Dr Yelle.  I'm not on the high that I thought I would be .  
I have signed the surgical consent but he now wants a scope done.  I hope that won't delay my surgery date by too much.

He also seems upset that I was still on celebrex.  I knew I couldn't have it after my surgery because it is a nsaid but no one told me I should be off it for a while before surgery.

He also mentioned that I can't use my glicazide for my diabetes after surgery and that he would prescribe metformin - I can't take that so he then said we will have to figure something else out.

Not sure if my feeling down was from the talk of rates of complication or death or from finding out I need a scope which may delay surgery depending on when it can be scheduled or just a let down of emotions after being to nervous, excited and anxious for this appointment.

Did anyone else have a let down of emotion after their appointment with the surgeon? 

Surgery:02-Dec-11 Highest: 344.6lbs  Pre-Optifast: 329lbs  Surgery: 311.6lbs  Current: 221lbs  Goal: 200lbs  

Karen M.
on 11/1/11 1:26 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hi Carol,

The process can be overwhelming.  I think you're having feelings for ALL of the reasons you mentioned - totally normal. Call right away to get an appointment for the scope and if you can, let them know you'll take any cancellations.  Good luck :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

C. McMillan
on 11/1/11 1:28 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks,  I have called and left a message - it is hard to get to speak to anyone.   I'm glad what I am feeling is fairly normal.

Surgery:02-Dec-11 Highest: 344.6lbs  Pre-Optifast: 329lbs  Surgery: 311.6lbs  Current: 221lbs  Goal: 200lbs  

nata
on 11/1/11 1:31 am - Ottawa, Canada
Sorry yoiu feel a little down, but most of the problems you've outlined are not that bad, actully.

The diabetic drug will be irrelevant within days if not immediately. A few days of slightly elevated sugar won't kill (it takes years). The NSAIDs issue on the other hand is more serious. Do you have an alternative plan? Did the WMC doctors suggested any replacement drug other than tylenol? That'd be kind of worry for me.

As for the complication rates and risks. Well, we all were scared at that point. Just try keeping positive and remember that Dr. Yelle is one of the best surgeons (not only bariatric) in the Ottawa area. You'll be in the most qualiffied and experienced hands.
Everything will be alright!

P.S. scope is a BAD, but usually very fast procedure - just a few minutes and that's it. It will be over before you know.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
magpie4495
on 11/1/11 1:39 am - Canada
Hi Carol,
I have my appointment with Dr. Raiche today at 2:30 - I was happy to see your post as I'm a bit nervous.  Did Dr. Yelle say that one of the WMC surgeons would want to do the scope or can you have it done anywhere at the request of your GP?
Cherill
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

C. McMillan
on 11/1/11 1:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
They are going to book it for me.   I've already call Lana and left her a message.  I will take any appointment, any time, any where.  I just hope it doesn't slow everything down.  I believe it can only be done in the hospital and I'm hoping that if Lana books it - it will be faster than my GP requesting one.

magpie4495
on 11/1/11 2:09 am - Canada
Good luck.  I had a scope done on September 19 at Monfort.  Hoping they will accept the results - which are no problems.
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

C. McMillan
on 11/1/11 2:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
Dr Yelle said he wanted a scope and biopsy done.  For him this is normal.  Did you have a biopsy done when you had your scope.  He said it is the best way to determine if you currently have that H-plori that people have mentioned on the board.   The blood test, breathing test or stool test will only tell if you have had it in the past but not if you currently have it.  Apparently it is a lot easier to treat pre-surgery.

Does anyone know what the treatment is and how long it takes to clear it up?

Megan M.
on 11/1/11 1:43 am - Canada
Just FYI, I stopped metformin the day of surgery and haven't been on it since.  My diabetes was almost immediately within normal range, and got even better as time went on.  Maybe this will happen to you.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

PatXYZ
on 11/1/11 1:52 am
Did you discuss VSG or DS an alternative to thr RNY so you could continue to take celebrex? To you have a treatment plan that is realistic without the use of NSAIDs?
Most Active
Recent Topics