Hoping someone knows...

mona8
on 11/4/11 11:57 am - Kingston, Canada
 I attended the info session at the Civic today,  and the presenter presented info on only RNY.  Does anyone know if the VSG is performed in Ottawa?  Should have asked while there but the audience was just too large for me to feel comfortable speaking out.  Also was informed that there is an 8 - 9 mnth wait just to get the next appointment....really????
Sirene
on 11/4/11 12:03 pm - Ottawa, Canada
They only perform VSG in the event that they open you up and for whatever reason, CANNOT perform the RNY.

and yes....really. and thats *IF* you're lucky....

Jennifer  

sam1am
on 11/4/11 12:11 pm
 I don't remember hearing of anyone that had a VSG in Ottawa under any cir****tance?  You might try to find out if you can be transferred to a more VSG friendly centre that has a shorter wait time, if possible.

Good luck!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

mona8
on 11/4/11 12:38 pm - Kingston, Canada
 i just noticed that you had VSG under Dr. Cristou, he works out of McGill Health Centre, doesn't he ?  Do you mind my asking if and how you went through the out of province OHIP approval process?
sam1am
on 11/4/11 1:03 pm
Yes, I had Dr. Christou.  He worked out of the Royal Vic for appointments and did surgery in his private clinic.  I believe his is also affiliated with the McGill Health Centre as well.

When I was approved for surgery, Ottawa wasn't doing any surgeries yet, so I had my choice of out of country or out of province.  I jumped at out of province as my first choice was to get a VSG with Dr. Christou, the alternative was Dr. Graber (who I don't  believe does the VSG) . I felt very fortunate and would highly recommend him.  I honestly don't know if out of province is still in play or not.  If you get onto Dr. Christou's web site, you could email him/Mary his assistant and they would be able to tell you for sure.

Wishing you the best!

Sandy                                           

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

mona8
on 11/4/11 1:09 pm - Kingston, Canada
 Thank-you so much for the info.  Montreal was my first choice as well, but was told by my Dr. that had to first be referred through thr bariatric registry in Ontario first.  If the surgery was going to be more than a 5 month wait ci could then ask her to apply, on my behalf, for out of country/out of province approval.  I guess I'll be making an appointment next week!
sam1am
on 11/4/11 11:25 pm, edited 11/4/11 11:31 pm
 Yes, if you live in Ontario, to get OHIP coverage,you do need to go through your local registry first.  In case you don't know, its the surgeon that decides on your surgery so if you are set on the vsg, definitely make an attempt to get to Montreal or somewhere else that does the VSG.  Dr. Dent at the Ottawa WMC seems to only recommend the RNY and quite frankly I don't know if there is anyone else but me (on OH anyway) that got a VSG in Montreal through OHIP and I'd love to see more!

ETA:  I sent off an email to his office asking if he still has a contract with OHIP!  Crossing my fingers for you!

Sandy                                           

Jennifer D.
on 11/4/11 1:09 pm
I spoke with Dr. Christou a while back (1.5 yrs) and was informed that he has a contract with OHIP to perform RNY at his clinic. As Sandy mentioned, if you email him he could probably give you an idea of how to get to see him. Let us know how it goes, it would be interesting if there was the out of province route for RNYer and VSGers.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
mona8
on 11/4/11 1:12 pm - Kingston, Canada
 Thank-you Jennifer, I believe that's my next step.
sam1am
on 11/6/11 1:36 am
 I'm disappointed to say, this was my answer:

OHIP cancelled all contracts for out of province surgeries.
Patients have to pay for their VSG. Call Mary 514-843-1531 and she can provide more details.
On 5-Nov-11, at 9:31 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Sandy