Massage Therapy? Prescription?

Muddymark
on 11/12/11 11:03 pm
Hi,
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me under what cir****tances my family doctor would write a prescription for massage therapy?  I really feel that the weight loss and changing body is reason enough, but don't know if that will be sufficient enough.

Thanks

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/12/11 11:12 pm - Windsor, Canada
You just need to ask. 

Stress relief? Aching joints? Sore back?  Any of these will be enough.  There's no "diagnosis" of anything needed typically unless your doctor is a complete ass!

I've never gotten a hassle from my doctors (either past or present) to get a prescription for a massage. 

One of the best things that you can do for yourself post surgery if you have not.   There's nothing better than being spoiled for an hour!  In fact, I have one scheduled for Tuesday.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

TBIYTC
on 11/12/11 11:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I've never had a problem with a request from the Doctor either.  Massage is a good thing.  Oh, some doctors (like mine) charge up to $25.00 for the note.

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 1:18 am
Do you actually need a prescription?
My insurance just wants it to be a registered massage therapist and have the receipts. I get half paid up to a certain amount, which adds up to about once a month.
sam1am
on 11/13/11 1:52 am
If you are covered by an insurance for massages, just make an appointment then send your receipt to your insurer like any other prescription.   If you don't have coverage I'm not sure whether or not you could get a small prcentage back through your income tax receipts or not.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Karen M.
on 11/13/11 3:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
Good point.  I don't need a prescription or referral with my health benefits.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

DonnaB1952
on 11/13/11 4:01 am - Amherstburg, Canada
RNY on 01/18/12
You can go to a massage therapist with or without a prescription... the only reason you would need a doctor's referral is for insurance coverage... I have both Sunlife & Great West Life. They want a copy of the doctor's referral and receipts for payment to a "registered" massge therapist.
Some spas have massage but not all are provided by a registered therapist. I have been going for years and it is wonderful... very helpful with internal scar tissue (after my ankle surgery) and stimulates better circulation in legs. I am so relaxed afterwards... oh I think I better call for an appointment tomorrow...LOL!

My Journey: Highest W= 349 Loss w/Weight Watchers= 296 Loss w/Optifast= 278 
Referral: Aug.25/11 Orientation: Sept.26/11, Optifast: Dec.28/11 & Surgery: Jan 18/12 

Total Loss= 187 lbs & Weight Loss since Dec 28/2011 w/Opti+WLS= 134 lbs. 

Current Weight  - April 2013 = 162.2

StevesGal
on 11/13/11 5:59 am - Hamilton, Canada
I have Manulife and my DH has Equitable Life, and for both I need to have a Drs referral (prescription) to get it covered.  My insurance pays 80%/visit up to $500/year, and my DH's pays 100%/visit up to $500/year.  I need a drs referral for chiropratic treatment as well to get coverage.

I believe that you can claim it on your income tax, if medical costs go over a certain $ amount, and you get a percentage of that back ... I think.  Never done it so I don't really know.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

JennR
on 11/13/11 6:50 am
OHIP does not cover massage therapy but if you have private insurance they may cover some of it, you'd have to check with your benefits coordinator to see what is required. Some need a doctor's referral others don't. My doctor is pretty good about doing stuff like writing these sorts of referrals.

Leslie W.
on 11/13/11 8:15 am - Cobourg, Canada

MD shouldn't hesistate to write a script., check with your insurance. Mine (Manulife) doesn't require a script.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics