Six Months Later...

Kerry F.
on 11/26/11 9:33 am - Bolton, Canada
I can hardly believe that 6 months have passed since I went to sleep and woke up with all my innards rearranged.  And I can't even begin to describe how much everything else has changed too.  But I'll try.
Six months ago, I could barely walk to school with the kids without being winded 1/2 way around the block.  Today I can run around the block.  This is amazing to me.
Like many others on this website, I will share my list of the good's and bad`s at this stage of my journey:

The Good (just a few):
I can shop in 'normal' stores.
I can fit a regular bath towel all the way around me.
I now weigh less than my husband.
Not only can I fit back into my wedding dress....it's way too big.
I exercise.  Every day.  Intentionally.  And I (deep breath...) ENJOY it.
My feet have shrunk, which means shoe shopping is fun again.
My son keeps telling me I`m getting skinnier.
I use food for fuel, not for feelings.
I buy clothes that I love and feel good in....not just because they fit.
Goodbye CPAP machine.
Goodbye thyroid meds.
My family is becoming more active because I can now lead by example.
I not only smile for photos, I love being in them and rarely insist on a retake.
I have great cleavage because I can now buy sexy bras :)

The Bad:
Sorry; can`t think of one.

That`s not to say that there haven`t been struggles...there have.  Figuring out my relationship with food has been the toughest part.  Old habits are hard to break and this process is as much about behaviour as it is about the physiology of the surgery itself.  At six months out, I can tolerate pretty much any food, which means that the choices that are before me are much wider and more varied than they were at 3 months out. So I am faced with more challenges every day.  I have discovered that change happens one choice at a time.  And my choices sure are different than they used to be.  I choose to exercise.  I choose to eat a high protein, low fat, low sugar diet.  I choose to go to bed early and get good quality sleep.  I choose not to weigh myself every day because I know that sometimes the scale is not my friend.  I choose to look after myself physically and emotionally.  Those choices empower me and they have allowed me to change my life.  And I know beyond a doubt that I would never have been able to make these choices without this surgery.  It has been a blessing.

I still have about 40lbs to go to get to my end goal, and the rate of weight loss is starting to slow a bit, which is OK, because as my husband always reminds me - this is a marathon, not a sprint.  So I will keep my pace, knowing I`m on the right track and doing just fine.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

torytt
on 11/26/11 9:45 am
Well done.  Your list is very encouraging to me.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
TT
on_my_way2011
on 11/26/11 10:09 am - Canada
I love posts like this...so encouraging!

Congrats on your journey so far!

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Hannahmumma03
on 11/26/11 10:31 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
Wow!! you've done so amazing!! Congrats!

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

Toni B.
on 11/26/11 11:13 am - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
Kerry that was a wonderful post, a true joy to read. Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your positive outlook with us.

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

JJ_
on 11/26/11 11:37 am
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Your post is very positive and uplifting.

Judy
Monica M.
on 11/26/11 11:43 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
thank you so much for this. Congratulations!

lisarah
on 11/26/11 1:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
Hi Kerry: It's me Lisa Ramalama....I was on here and just saw your picture. I am waiting for m appointment to see the sergeon at TW. I asked to be referred in Jan 2011 you look very good. love your post

Lisa

Referral to Bariatric Registry March 2011 Orientation at TWH Aug, 2011
RNY scheduled for Jan 26, 2012 at Toronto Western

Kerry F.
on 11/26/11 9:28 pm - Bolton, Canada
Thanks everyone :)  This website has been such a gift; there is so much support and encouragement here.  For me, it's been a safe place to come and share and listen and learn.  I hope the 'newbies' find the support that I have...and I hope the 'vets' stick around and keep posting.

(Lisa!!!!  Good to see you here.  I'm going to message you on FB.)

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

ashleighsmom
on 11/26/11 9:33 pm
Well put congrats on your continued success and those thus far
Jan              2.8 pounds below goal  
Most Active
Recent Topics