Finding food disgusting!

Muddymark
on 12/7/11 9:26 am
Every since the surgery I find food disgusting.  Nothing tastes right or good.  I am two months out.  I am wondering if anyone else experienced this, and does food every taste the same again?  I can't honestly say that I enjoy the taste of at least 90% of food I am eating.  

Thanks 
Monica M.
on 12/7/11 9:41 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I'm sorry, i can't help. I havent found that my tastes have changed at all. Have you had your bloodwork checked? sometimes there's a physical reason for food not tasting good.

sam1am
on 12/7/11 10:51 am
I have seen a lot of people go through this stage.  Make sure you are getting your protein and getting all your fluids and supplements in and take advantage of the weight loss of this part as your appetite will surely come back.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Manda M.
on 12/7/11 1:42 pm
My tastes haven't changed I just have no desire to eat anymore. Nothing tickles my fancy and gets me excited like it used it. I think of it now like " I eat to live" and not "live to eat"
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

JennR
on 12/7/11 3:56 pm
That's me too most of the time. No interest in food.

djc3791
on 12/7/11 5:38 pm - Toronto, Canada
Are you trying lots of different things? even things you didn't like before surgery?

I am also having trouble with the fact eating doesn't satisfy, or fulfill, the way it used to, and learning new expectations of eating.  It's strange to be trying to define a food as "good" because it gives me protein and goes down easy, instead of how it tastes or makes me feel.

It's like I'm trying to change eating from an emotional / physical experience to an intellecual one.  If that makes sense.

Donna
 RNY  10/31/2011  Dr Rotstein   St. Mike's   Toronto

Karen M.
on 12/7/11 7:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Yep, been there.  Several times over the years.  I want to warn you to be careful about it.  It can easily lead to food aversions - not good.  Unfortunately at this stage you're in "just eat it" mode.  Some days you may have to "force" yourself to eat.  Just do it, for your health.  It gets easier.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Muddymark
on 12/8/11 1:21 am
 That is good to hear that it could get easier.  Today for lunch I am trying an open faced tuna sandwich for lunch and it is the first time my lips have touched a carb since the surgery without wanting to vomit.  Let's see how this goes down.   Most days I just force myself to eat, and I don't ever want the enjoyment of food to return, but I do want to be appeased but the meal I am eating.  

Karen M.
on 12/8/11 1:28 am - Mississauga, Canada
I enjoy my meals... mostly.  There are still days where nothing appeals to me, nothing tastes good, etc, etc.  Those are the days that I make sure I get in at least one protein shake and plug through the rest of the eating.  I also try to make things on those days that I usually enjoy - sometimes the aversion goes away after a couple of bites. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics