reminder of why I needed surgery

joanne_1970
on 12/12/11 1:42 pm - Harriston, Canada
Today I was informed that a man I had met a number of times over the years at various conference I attended passed away yesterday.  He was obese and was told he had to lose 150lbs which he apparently did lose most of it and then put it all back on again.  Yesterday he had a heart attack and passed away and he was 40 years old.
I am 41 and needed to lost about the same amount.  When I read stories such as the one about the death of the woman in Ottawa in 2009 I'm reminded there are many more stories such as the gentleman above.

Joanne

Peel1234
on 12/12/11 9:26 pm
Your absolutely right Joanne her is to health.   I am so grateful that after my 18 month journey I had my surgery.  NSV off 80% insulin and no logger get out of breath going up and down the stairs.  Lost my brother at age 49 to Cardiac Disease / obesity.  I hoping to break this cycle by not only loosing weight but eating healthy, exercising and enjoying this life we've been given.  Diane

Will take a kayaking trip summer 2012, freedom

Monica M.
on 12/12/11 9:56 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
It's very sobering and humbling when something like that happens. A highschool friend of my husband's just passed away, same deal, obese, heart attack. Same age as us, 47 yrs old. Too young to die.

A good friend at work desperately needs to lose his weight. I wish he'd ask me about my journey, but he hasnt. I don't want to read about his death.

We're the lucky ones, Joanne. Truly.

Mon

CC1964
on 12/12/11 10:05 pm - Lindsay, Canada
Thank you Joanne for this posting. I am less than a month away from surgery and when I read the thread about the Ottawa woman I started to quake a bit. Thank you for reminding me why I am doing this. I choose to have this surgery. I choose to trust my Ontario surgeon. I choose to help myself be well.
Cathie  

Surgery - January 11/12        
sam1am
on 12/12/11 11:04 pm
Excellent reminder, Joanne!  We are more likely to die of an obesity related problem, than to die from surgery.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Brenda T.
on 12/12/11 11:52 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
That's sad, I think we all feel at some point that this can't happen to me.... but it can and he was still young....
It's time for me to look after my health.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

irol770
on 12/13/11 2:41 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
My mom died at 60 of a massive heart attack about 6 months before I had my surgery.  It was very sudden, she was not an ill person generally and had no previous heart issues that were known.  She was obese and smoked.

I agree that surgery will have risks...all surgeries do.  But staying fat has risks too...probably many more risks.  So that's why it made me really mad when I was in the hospital recently with unknown stomach pain and distension.  When the surgeon came to see me (general surgeon on call) his comment to me was "That's why I don't like this surgery and would never advise anyone to have it".  Okay, well first off...I already did!  I can't exactly go back and un-have it!  And secondly...I'm glad I did.  Overall my health is WAY better than it was.  So ya, I had a little set back which may or may not be related to the surgery...but not serious and they couldn't even figure out what was happening.  So he'd rather I not have the surgery, stay fat and at risk of dying young or suffering from numerous health problems?  So closed minded!
Glitter Text Generator

Dianadcr
on 12/13/11 6:16 am - Canada
This is really a wake up call. What a gift we've been given!
Most Active
Recent Topics