optifast

Patm
on 1/2/12 10:52 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I do not know how people manage for weeks on this stuff. All the artificial flavouring is giving me diarrhea. I can not add more flavour because of the artificail flavouring in them. I have used orange extract.
I find myself holding my nose and drinking the vanilla down. The smell makers me sick. The chocolate at least does not smell quite so bad.
This is my 5th day and 16 more to go!

i think this Sunday will be the worst. My kids birthdays are Jan 6 and 7 so they are coming for dinner.
I guess i ust wanted to rant, thanks for listening
Monica M.
on 1/2/12 11:08 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Pat. Keep at it, you're on your way!! You're almost 1/4 of the way there!! yay!! you can do this!

Try using a covered cup to drink from, like a travel mug or something, to stop yourself from smelling it.

How about asking your kids to come over for a movie or something instead of dinner? Or go skating, or for a walk if its nice. Or try mixing your optifast in the blender with a bunch of ice and some water, to make it like a Wendy's froster, then you can "eat" with everyone else.

CC1964
on 1/2/12 11:11 pm - Lindsay, Canada
I understand Pat. Opti-Fast can be a struggle. I am on day #7--one more week to go. Make your drinks as cold as possible. I too have been adding some extract and a little extra cocoa and I can gladly say that I don't mind drinking them.

I have had to make some tough choices about not being where I am tempted or tortured by food. Perhaps you could get creative about celebrating your kids birthdays and not have it centre around a meal.
Cathie  

Surgery - January 11/12        
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 11:11 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Put some real vanilla extract in it, it doesn't add any sweetness at all but it does cover up that artificial smell.  Lots put in half a packet of vanilla with half a packet of chocolate if they can't handle the vanilla.
charolli
on 1/3/12 12:34 am - Canada
One of my favourite ways to have Optifast was to disolve instant coffee in a little water before adding the rest of the water and the Opti....with the chocolate it tasted like an iced cap.... i would even mix one up and place it in the freezer for an hour or two....keep with it...it is just the first step on this amazing journey!!

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

Patm
on 1/3/12 1:08 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I think I'll pick up the instant coffee. That sounds great. Thanks everyone for all the support.
Diminishing Dawn
on 1/3/12 1:17 am - Windsor, Canada
Do you blend it with ice in a blender? For many, these helps break the taste/smell.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Toni B.
on 1/3/12 10:07 am - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
 Hang in there Pat! I'm on Day 6 of Opti, and sort of enjoying it... only because i keep changing the flavour for each shake... never the same shake twice,....just so i don't get totally sick of it... I do miss food, but I keep telling myself to buy a clothes pin for the end of my nose.... If I don't smell the pizza or popcorn in the other room, then I am ok... 

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Most Active
Recent Topics