Just need to vent...

thenewbre
on 1/15/12 4:24 am
I really just need to vent...I feel like I am not losing what I should be...I am eating properly, drinking my water etc. and I feel like the scale isn't moving. I'm 8 weeks out, and have lost 31 lbs since surgery (59 since Opti), and although I know thats great, I thought I would have lost more. I guess the truth is I'm scared that I will fail at this too, and this will be yet another failure for me.
I know everyone is different, but how long/how much weight lost before things started to slow down for people?

StaceyP_Kingston
on 1/15/12 4:59 am - Canada
I am only four weeks post op and I know how you feel, but the average weight loss for the first 3 months is 17 lbs a month and that is just the average. So you are just about right on track with the average. I think it is our 'fat' minds doing it to us, going right for the negative because of all the failed diets that have come before. Weight loss is weight loss whether it is a one pound or ten, just keep telling yourself that.

Thanks
StaceyP
smiley_k
on 1/15/12 4:59 am, edited 1/15/12 5:00 am
Hi Bre,

Yes, everyone is different. If it's helpful, I lost a lot the first month, but I also didn't loose near as much as other people did on Optifast. On Optifast I lost 15 pounds, than I believe the first month I lost almost a pound a day. I don't remember the exact number but it did slow down and pick up again. I found it hard not to compare myself initially, and still have to remind myself not to compare sometimes. 

If you are eating properly, drinking your fluids and taking your vitamins, than maybe you could be in a stall, although if you are still loosing, just not as fast, you are still on track. I get stalls frequently. I find sometimes it helps me if I feel like I'm not doing well to figure out my overall weight loss, if you figure your weightloss overall since the beginning of Optifast, over the 11 weeks, you've lost an average of little more than 5 pounds a week. That's awesome, maybe your body just needs time to catch up.

Best of luck!
Katie  ♥     

Megan M.
on 1/15/12 5:02 am, edited 1/15/12 5:04 am - Canada
 You will go through periods where your body will hold onto your weight and it will drive you crazy. But eventually your body will give up and the weight wIll start to come off again. As hard as it is,you just have to hang tough and keep doing your part.  You've lost 60pounds in less than 3 months. Your body is doing a WTF and is holding tight until it figures out what you're up to. I have been holding steady since before Christmas but I think my scale will show me a loss tomorrow.  Do your part and try not to worry so much. It will happen. Not always a loss every day. Sometimes it is more pounds less often.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/15/12 5:29 am - Windsor, Canada
At 8 weeks out, I'd lost 31 lbs. You are not the fastest, but you are not an anamoly either :) 

Doing just fine.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

MisterDiminishing
on 1/15/12 6:16 am - Windsor, Canada
You are doing fine. I'm 4.5 weeks out and on my second stall. No big deal. Just think of how thrilled you'd be to lose 31 lbs prior to the surgery! And this is weight you'll keep off, and it's only the beginning too.

Monica M.
on 1/15/12 6:46 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4466516/to-rosie/

check out that link, its a chart of realistic expectations. hope it helps.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 6:58 am - Guelph, Canada
 Oh thats a great link... bookmarked! 
JJ_
on 1/15/12 8:23 am
Are you in a sprint or a marathon?  Personally I am in a marathon to death.  LOL  Do you feel better and able to move around better than before you have lost 59 lbs?  Did you experience any NSVs? 

The number on the scale is only ONE element of your success.  I bet after losing 59 lbs, you still don`t fit into the same underwear and pants.

Have you experienced more energy?  Do you have a list of each improvement to your health and life since you started this journey?  Are you still on medication or have some or all of them been stopped?

Keep your eye on the big picture.  The weight will take care of itself.

Judy
Moselle
on 1/15/12 8:24 am - Athens, Canada
I know it's difficult but keep the faith. I too didn't think that I was losing fast enough, but I made it to goal and beyond with the 1st year. I found that I would lose a pounds then stall for a couple of weeks and then drop another 10 lbs then stall again.  It's like my body just took some time in between losses to adjust to the new me.  If you stick to the program it will definitely happen! All the best for continued success on your journey.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Most Active
Recent Topics