Gallbladder Advice

Dollface-1981
on 1/22/12 5:31 am - Newmarket, Canada
So I'm going in tomorrow morning to have my gallbladder taken out.  I know its just day surgery and it will probably be a lot easier to deal with then when I had my bypass.. but I was hoping that there may be some people on here who have gone through it  and can let me know what their recovery was pain wise.  How long they took off from work, etc 

I know that everyone heals differently but any feedback would be appreciated!

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

PatXYZ
on 1/22/12 5:37 am
My mom had it done as laparoscopic day surgery and took that week off from work. She was advised not to lift anything heavy for 6 weeks, but that wasn't a concern for her job.
angied1975
on 1/22/12 6:17 am - Canada
 I had mine out , pain level was minimal. I had only taken the pain meds( 5 mg Percocet cut in half) twice after getting out hospital. I had surgery on a friday  and felt well enough to go back to work on the monday. was unable to though because I am  personal Support worker and have a heavy case load.  
Ottawa34
on 1/22/12 6:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
Good luck on your surgery, i'm having mine taken out next month.

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Leslie W.
on 1/22/12 6:52 am - Cobourg, Canada
When my hubby had his out it was the gas pain that was the worse. Similar to WLS gas pains. Others I know took a week off. Again it all depends on what you do.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
SweetAndSassyOne
on 1/22/12 7:51 am - Kingston, Canada
I recently read in a book that they sometimes take out the gall bladder the same time they do the WLS. Has anyone had it done this way?
3turtles
on 1/22/12 5:12 pm - Columbus, OH
I didn't get mine done in Ontario but at my hospital in California they take out your gallbladder when they do your surgery because rapid weight loss can cause gall stones.

I had my gallbladder out a couple years before my Roux En Y when I dropped 80 pounds really quickly. I have zero pain tolerance so I was pretty miserable. One thing I will say is to take it easy. Don't go for long walks or anything for a few days because I got horrible stomach cramps. Be prepared for your stools to change. It shouldn't be too bad though. I was able to leave the hospital less than 24 hours after my surgery. You'll be ok.
consultation: 8/29/11 nutritionist: 9/7/11 psych eval: 9/12/11 stress test: 9/20/11 gi scope: 9/21/11 nurse visit: 9/28/11 SURGERY: 9/29/11

JennR
on 1/22/12 8:05 am
My husband had his gallbladder out several years ago and he was very nauseous for a couple of days but the pain was minimal. I think he was off work for a couple of weeks.

Judy L.
on 1/22/12 8:07 am - Toronto, Canada
Had mine out last Jan. Pain is minimal. Good luck with it!

Monica M.
on 1/22/12 8:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i was off work just under a week, the pain was minimal, i don't even recal taking tylenol afterward.

Most Active
Recent Topics