Will depression medication puch my surgerie back!

BrigitteD
on 2/5/12 11:12 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
So today I have a appointment with my GP I m thinking of asking her for a anti- depressant. Will her prescribing me anti-depressant help and will it post pone my surgery. I m not sure what to do.  I think that it my husband that need it more then me and his attitude is making me depress but at the same time I have been really unhappy lately.  The only think keeping me going is my surgery.  Any suggestions!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Joyce J.
on 2/5/12 11:27 pm - Scarborough, Canada
HI there

Not sure why you would think it would push your surgery back, but it shouldn't
Many people who have wls are on meds for depression. I have been for years and it was not an issue.
You should be fine

Take  care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Karen M.
on 2/5/12 11:31 pm - Mississauga, Canada
No.  I was on an antidepressant when I had surgery and was going through the process.  If it improves your mental health, you will be better prepared for surgery and recovery.  Blaming your husband isn't going to help any, quite frankly.  Our feelings are our own.  You need to start taking responsiblity for them and for yourself, Brigitte.  Not trying to be harsh, but you really need to take a look at your thoughts and behaviours and start to own them.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

BrigitteD
on 2/5/12 11:44 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
I agree taking responsibility for you re emotions is  very empowering.  I was not trying to blame him.  I ve always be a strong person.  Single mom for 10 years, put myself trough college will working and taking care of my son, first husband cheated on me with sister, people dying right and left, another sister that I help taking care of because she has autism and my parents are getting older and need help, maybe it s time for Brigitte to get help!  There are just lots of factor to consider that is hard to all explain on the bored.  Just trying to figure things out. Think I will tray the medication it can t be worse.  Thanks for the input.

Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Karen M.
on 2/5/12 11:55 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I agree, it is totally "Brigitte time"!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/12 1:52 am - Toronto, Canada
 I love it...."Brigitte time".  You go, girl!
JJ_
on 2/6/12 1:58 am
If you are experiencing depression, it needs to be treated.  Left untreated, you could drop rather drastically and not be able to work or function. 

The bariatric centre wants to know that all medical conditions are stable prior to surgery.  They will ask you if you are taking any medications (I remember having to bring my prescription bottles with me for PATTS).

It is so much better to get this sorted out now.  The surgery itself sometimes is upsetting to some people.

All the best Brigitte,

Judy
PatXYZ
on 2/6/12 6:22 am
Good for you for recognizing that you need assistance. Keep in mind that after surgery you will not be able to absorb extended-release medications in the same way you can now, so to avoid having to switch your medication in the future you may want to request a drug that is 'regular' release. Good luck.
BrigitteD
on 2/6/12 6:47 am - Sumerstown, Canada
She prescribe me with 10 mg of Cipralex is that a regular release medication!  Thanks in advance for your expertise!

After opti        220                                           

PatXYZ
on 2/6/12 7:31 am
Hi Brigitte,

I was pretty sure that escitalopram (Cipralex) was not an extended release drug, but I double-checked with a pharmacist to be sure and they confirmed that it is a regular release drug, so it appears to be a great choice for you. I hope it helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics