smoking

scorpioboy33
on 2/29/12 4:44 am
I was asked to ask this...how many of you who have had the surgery smoked? Tobacoo or otherwise.....was it super hard to quit......did any of you not quit...did anyone get kicked out for smoking?????
I'm lucky in that I don't smoke but my friend does and wanted to know but was afraid to ask...
thanks guys....
btw
I get my endoscopy Monday than I get to get my surgery date :)
As always thanks for your help...this board is awesome
Bill
Monica M.
on 2/29/12 5:02 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey, Bill.
Smoking (tobacco or otherwise) is a huge no no. They won't do the surgery unless you've been at least 6 months smoke free.
Smoking impairs healing of wounds, it compromises your breathing, so there's more risk of respiratory issues after surgery, and... maybe most importantly in WLS, it increases your risk of ulcers.

Happy for you, about getting your surgery date soon! I'm sure the endoscopy will go really well.

Mon

scorpioboy33
on 2/29/12 5:03 am
Thanks for that...btw congratuations!!!!!!!! you must be totally proud of your self
Monica M.
on 2/29/12 5:10 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I'm very proud of myself, Scorpio. It is definitely getting more challenging, tho.

hobbithands
on 2/29/12 6:09 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I was a smoker and quit for WLS. It was super hard and its a daily struggle. I hope your friend has an easier time!

scorpioboy33
on 2/29/12 7:09 am
so they're early in the process...well kinda early...they've already had their ultrasound and tests next to have their mental assessment......they've stopped but should they drop out.....will they get terminated..???

PatXYZ
on 2/29/12 7:44 am
Have they not been asked yet if they smoke? I know some of the centres test for nicotine. It is in their own best interest not to have surgery until they have been smoke free for 6 months. They can take a break in the assessment and come back to exactly where they are once they have been quit for the required minimum amount of time.
Radiogirl39
on 2/29/12 10:16 am - Canada
I was originally rejected because my doctor had put on the form that I smoked.  I thought since the process could be a year I would quit sometime in there.  I hadn't heard for 6 months and eventually quit.  When I called the registry to find out about my referral, they said I'd been denied due to smoking, but nobody had called.  So I advised her I quit and my doc resent my referral.  Some centres test I believe.  Monica is right, it's in their best interest for so many reasons.

It was so hard and I crave it EVERY SINGLE DAY!  But I don't want to live that way anymore.  Smoking took away my power and I was embarassed to have something controlling me. 

I have quit a number of times and this time I used laser therapy.  THE BEST!  They use a cold hydrogen laser (you can't feel it) to stimulate your endocrine system using mapped out acupuncture sites.  As I understand it, nicotine takes over our feel good centre from the endocrine system and our body stops making it's own endorphines.  The laser stimulates it again and you don't crave the nicotine.  I had 2 sessions and it cost $250.  Well worth it!

Good luck to your friend.

Julie

jdance
on 2/29/12 11:45 pm - Canada
I was a smoker and had to quit to have the surgery.

I used the book "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allan Carr... It's a terrific book and I haven't looked back since. Been smoke free for 2 years now. no more cravings or pangs. I was a 30+year smoker......

Best move i ever made, other than WLS.

j

Most Active
Recent Topics