Hypoglycemia

Muddymark
on 3/8/12 2:36 am
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  Basically, I need to eat something every couple of hours or I get extremely weak and sick.  I am capable of eating sugary foods and kind of have to if I don't want to be passed out.  Anyone else been told that their blood sugar is extremely low?

Catw
on 3/8/12 3:53 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi, I don't have low blood sugar, but a friend of mine who is 3 year out usually ends up eating something every hour or hour and a half or he can tell.  (He also works out at least once daily)  It may even be a piece of fruit or cheese.  I'd watch which sugary foods I was eating though, there are good ones and bad ones.

Cathy
Diminishing Dawn
on 3/8/12 4:48 am - Windsor, Canada
 There are two types of hypo - constantly low and reactive (in response to foods).   Which one are you!?

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

chubbyuckersmom
on 3/8/12 6:25 am - Port Sydney, Canada
I too became hypoglycmic after RNY surgery. I was sent to doctor last week and am hoping that eating something every 2 hrs gets mine to at least a 4. I was advised this is a very serious problem and to test my blood every 4 hrs during the day at different times and use a glucose tablet when low. I am starting to get the feeling of knowing when sugar is bottoming out, yesterday I was feeling suddenly weak, checked blood level and i was at 2.4 . Immediatly had a tablet . After 1/2 hr it was still only 3.2 so had some Lf laughing cow cheese and melba toast and felt much better. Go to doctor for info on this for your own sake and find out how to treat.

Good Luck

Brenda H

irol770
on 3/9/12 2:51 am, edited 3/9/12 2:53 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I have been having lots of episodes of low blood sugar.  It is very sporadic and not predictable so I carry my blood tester and Dex 4 tablets with me.

I know that if I eat something high in sugar then I could possibly end up bottoming out an hour or two later.  But it isn't consistent, and maybe depends on what else in in my stomach at that time that hasn't been digested yet.  I was really craving cereal last weekend.  I told my husband that and he suggested that if I was really craving it, maybe just have a little bit to satisfy the craving.  I never eat any cereal, but I had purchased Oatmeal Crisp for my daughter and I used to love that cereal.  So I measured out a serving size...1/3 cup I believe...and I had some milk in it and I ate it.   After a bit I didn't feel well.  I tested my BS and it was up at 13 so I knew it was going to come crashing down.  And sure enough about 1/2 hour to an hour later I was at about 2.3. 

However, my BS doesn't only drop after sugary foods, sometimes (but again not always) it will drop if I haven't eaten in a while, or sometimes if I miss breakfast. 

I've asked my doctor about this.  He is an internist that I was seeing for my iron and thyroid and he said he has heard of it and understands it, but has no idea how to treat it because obviously I am not diabetic, it is not consistent and my pancreas is working.  I told him that I don't like to take the Dex 4 because it is a fast acting, high sugar tablet which does a great job at raising my BS when it is low.  But because of the high sugar, it also causes it to fall again a couple of hours later.  His suggestion to me was to take the Dex 4 to start, because he said you have to get the BS back up so you have to take something fast acting.  But then afterwards eat a carb that has a low glycemic index such as an apple.  It will provide enough sugar to stop my BS from dropping again.  I tried that last week only taking two of the Dex 4s (instead of 4 like you would normally take) and then had some apple slices, and it seemed to have worked.  But everything is so inconsistent that I can't say that with a certainty.

Glitter Text Generator

Most Active
Recent Topics