BM question and help

99mickey
on 3/10/12 11:37 pm - ajax, Canada
I am almost 6 months post op and I have been a regular BMer.  Two days after my operation I started going and have had no problem going once a day or more.  Approximately 2 weeks ago I had my first issue with constipation.  I felt like I really had to go and couldn't so I bought Ducolax, took 1 and went in the morning.  Ever since then I seem to be going every other day and having to push to really get it out.  I have started taking collace and added bran buds to my yogurt daily. Is there something else I can add to make this better?   Is it normal to go every other day and have to work to get it out?  This is all new to me.  Thanks for the help!!
     My  is stewartjackie

JennR
on 3/10/12 11:43 pm
Try adding some benefiber as well and make sure you are drinking lots of water.

Leanne1
on 3/11/12 12:10 am - Newmarket, Canada
After months of constipation, and ending up in the ER (one time I knew there was an issue and another time, I had no idea cuz I was "going" everyday) here's what I did.

I went to the pharmacy and got "Floragen" it's a probiotic. I also got "swiss herbal laxative".

The Floragen must be kept in the fridge. (it was $20 for the bottle and it had 30 pills in it) I told my GP what I did, and she actually sells a probiotic (100 pills for $35, so I got them)

My vitamin regimen is:
7am- probiotic
9am- multi-vitamin
11am- calcium citrate
1pm- B12
3pm- B12
9pm- herbal laxative

I am now "going" everyday, thank goodness!

I also added more bran to my diet! All-bran cereal, bran buds, different nuts. I make bran muffins (the mix can be kept in the fridge for up to 6weeks and you make them fresh as you eat or want them) (6week bran muffins out of the "Company's Coming" cookbook)

Good luck!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

dawn4511
on 3/11/12 12:14 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
It's a battle to keep regular. I use bran buds in my protein shake drink min 64oz and use benefiber in my coffee x2.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Monica M.
on 3/11/12 12:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
lots of water. My doctor says that your BMs should be the consistency of a soft banana. (ew)
I have significant problems with going, and although i usually go every day or every other, lots of times its hard and difficult.

keep using the colace. If you find it doesnt work, or isn't soft enough, and the bran buds don't work so well, try adding actual bran (the kind you use to make bran muffins, Quaker bran) about 2 tbsp to your yogurt, and increase the amount daily until you get it right.

Gabygee
on 3/11/12 12:51 am - Canada
Yoghurt binds me.

So besides adding the bran buds, which make the stools very large and hard to pass, twice a week I use a stool softener (ducosate calcium, or if I can't find that at the pharmacy, a double-dose of Colace).
Then once a week (when I don't have to be out of the house early) the night before I have a large cup of herbal tea. it's an herbal laxative tes from the Bulk Barn, called "Herba-Lax" and it comes in a blue box. It sort of looks Chinese, and it's in with the other herbal teas.

(The main ingredient is Senna, which is also found in Senokot pills and many other laxatives.)

Bu the point is that if you have a large cup of it, you're getting your fluid to make the whole thing move along nicely. The next morning I clear out my system and I'm good for a couple of days.

Constipation has been the worst of my issues post-op, and once I found a system that worked for me, I was good. It's been 11 months, and I'm happy I finally have it under control.

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/12 1:05 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I had normal bowels for years then all of a sudden a few years after WLS I started suffering with constipation.  I tried a lot of different things and many different brands of probiotics and nothing worked until Cheryl from this board recommended the Jamieson 4 strain probiotics.  Have been regular ever since.  My youngest sister who is not a WLS patient has been having major bowel issues for the past 3 years and even under the care of a GI doc, they can't get her regular.  She tried to locate these probiotics but couldn't find them in her store so she bought a different type of Jamieson ones and lo and behold she is completely regular again after years of issues.  She bought the Jamieson 30 billion probiotic. I've attached pics of both.  It's worth a shot.

http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/files/2699.png

http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/files/5764.png

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/12 3:09 am - Guelph, Canada
 do you use both of these daily? 
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/12 3:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
No I take the first one and my sis takes the 2nd one.  When I first started taking them, I would take 3 per day as the instructions say 1-3 per day so took the max until I got regular then got it back to 1 per day and now I only take one every 3 days.  The 2nd one the recommendation is 1 per day.  My sis took 1 per day til she got regular and now takes 1 every 2nd day.  I know some people take them daily though.
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/12 4:28 am - Guelph, Canada
 aaa ok thanks     i am 3 weeks post hyster but still pre op for by pass and ive been taking a softener on the gynos advice but still havin a few issues so i will look into those 2 products
Most Active
Recent Topics