first weekend away from home since surgery

tasha_the_dog
on 3/15/12 6:57 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
Just got back from a weekend trip stateside to get some shopping in.  Was a little concerned about eating in a restaurant but did alright.  Brought protein bars and shakes just in case. 
First restaurant we went to was a Culvers. Typical fast food but yeah they had chili. So I had that.
Supper was good too.  We went to a nice restaurant we had never been to called the Green Mill.
My DH and I ordered a "Low Calorie Grilled Chicken Pizza"  It was a 7" personal pizza and boy was it delish.  I was able to eat two pieces and two small chicken tenders that were also ordered.
In the evening i had a shake before I went to bed.

The hotel we stayed in had a continental breakfast included in the stay and I was a little concerned because they rarely have protein available, but boy was I surprised.  There were scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, hash browns and the typical pastries waffles etc.  The second morning they had omelettes!   At least the breakfasts made my choices easy!

The next day for lunch my DH wanted to visit a "Burger Joint" that was features on Diners Drive ins and Dives.  So we all ordered burgers and I just ate the patty.  Tried eating the bottom bun with it but it was just too much for me.  Dinner was Red Lobster and the waitress let me order off the kid's menu and I had the broiled fish with broccoli.  Just the right amount of food!
Our last day we ate at a family restaurant we had always driven by but never gone in called Bridgemans.  really nice 50's style family restaurant that specialized in ICE CREAM!  I ordered a grilled chicken wrap and ate half and had the other half when we got home for supper.  But the best part of that lunch was the ICE CREAM!  They actually had Fat Free Sugar Free ice cream so I treated myself to a small cone.  It was awesome, so creamy.

So now I don't have to be concerned with eating in restaurants now that I know I can manage.
Found a bunch of sugar free treats for myself whi*****luded SF lifesavers.  So nice to have something to suck on. very yummy!   Oh and SF York Peppermint Patties too.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Megan M.
on 3/15/12 9:35 am - Canada
I love the Green Mill, though I haven't eaten there post-surgery.  Was your burger from the Anchor Bar?  Have you tried the burgers at Five Guys?  I order a small burger with all the veggie toppings and no bun.  I'm going to try that ice cream next time I'm in Duluth - I had SF ice cream in Florida a few weeks ago, but it was pretty much yukky!  Something else to look for are Joseph's Lavash flatbreads, I get them at Cub foods.  I cut them into little squares, give them a spray and season them, then bake for 5-10 minutes and make my own very low carb crackers.  Love them alot, and they're great with hummus.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

tasha_the_dog
on 3/15/12 10:00 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
Hi Megan,

Where is Five Guys?  Yes the burger was from the Anchor Bar, quite the cool place.   I will check for those flatbreads next time we go to Duluth.  Thanks for the info

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Megan M.
on 3/15/12 11:05 am - Canada
Five Guys is at the mall, near JCPenney, right next to Coldwater Creek.  It only has access from outside.  The food is all local, there are no fillers in the meat, and it's just plain delicious - one of the best burgers I've ever had (I had the whole shebang pre-surgery in my burger-eating days!)

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics