1-year surgiversary (long)

Karen W.
on 4/11/12 12:06 pm - Canada
Well, here it is, April 11, 2012.  A year ago today I had my RNY.  I have no regrets at all.  I have quite a bit of hanging skin (belly, legs and arms) but I'd much rather have loose skin than the 110 lbs of fat that I've shed.  My original goal was 160 (I'm 5'5"); I changed it to 150, and have surpassed it by 5 lbs. My hair loss has stopped, and actually motivated me to get a short (medium short) hair cut for the first time in my life (I love it).

I haven't worn my ankle brace (which I wore for 2 years pre-WLS) in over 10 months.  My knee pain is down significantly; I don't miss NSAIDs because I don't feel like I need them any more.  I can ride my bike, walk, and have even caught myself running up stairs!  I have as much energy as when I was in my 20's ( 20 years ago).  I feel strong and healthy.

This year I went to school full-time, and am now the first person in my family to earn a Master's Degree.  I have a new job starting April 30, something very different from all of my previous work.  And today I fulfilled a lifelong dream:  I BOUGHT A HARLEY!!!  She's beautiful and I can't wait to go for a long ride.

This week I wa**** on three times.  Once by a biker, once by a drunk 24-year-old classmate, and once by a very hot 30-something year old tattoo and piercing covered hottie.  If you had told me a year ago that this would happen, I would have thought you were crazy.

I struggle with cravings and urges, emotional/stress eating, and sometimes give in but mostly do well with food.  I am completely dedicated to this new way of life.  I am so grateful that I made the choice to have the surgery.

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for your advice and support over the past year.  You are a very special bunch of people!

Karen W

RNY April 11, 2011       

Heathergetbetter
on 4/11/12 12:18 pm - Trenton, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/02/12
Wow! Happy surgiversary. What great victories and accomplishments for you. Thank you for sharing,
Dr Ref: Sept 9th '10, Dr. Follow up (file lost in bulk transfer) Aug '11Pre-surg Asmt Ottawa: Dec 9th '11File Transf to HRH -another bulk transf Bypass class: Feb 2 '12 Surgeon Consult: Feb 8 '12    Dietician: Feb 8 '12   Soc Wrkr: Feb 8 '12 Nurse: Feb 8 '12 Internist: Mar 9 '12  Surgeon: Apr 4 '12 Opti:Apr 18 '12 SURGERY: May 2 '12    
jennlea
on 4/11/12 1:03 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 12/06/12
 Happy Surgiversary!  Congratulations on ALL your success.    I hope I can do as well as you have.

Jenn

Referral to Guelph: 3-May-11    Orientation: 22-Mar-12     Nurse & Dietitian: 30-Apr-12     Sleep Study: 2-May-12                 Social Worker: 9-May-12       Upper GI: 14-May-12      Ultrasound: 17-May-12         N, D, SW (2nd. appt.): 4-Jul-12          Post Op. Class: 9-Sept-12    Surgeon: 24-Oct-12      Optifast: 22-Nov-12    PAT: 30-Nov-12      Surgery: 6-Dec-12 

smiley_k
on 4/11/12 1:30 pm
Congrats on your Surgiversary and reaching and surpassing your goal!

Here's wishing you continued success!
Katie  ♥     

stephanie2011
on 4/11/12 1:36 pm - toronto, Canada
It sounds  like you have embraced this new life and are living it to the max!!  Happy Surgiversary  
Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

stewartjackie
on 4/11/12 1:45 pm - Pickering, Canada
Wow, that is amazing, you are inspiration to us all!
Thanks so much for posting, and all I can say is keep it up!

Brassbed1
on 4/11/12 1:55 pm
I totally celebrate your success. I too am coming up to my one year anniversary and don't regret for one moment my decision to have wl surgery. I feel fantastic, I've changed in many positive ways and I'm finally the person I was always mean meant to be, inside and out. There is only one problem: on my birthday, five months ago, I decided to celebrate with a drink and I haven't stopped! I can't believe what I'm experiencing, and I'm sure my upcoming blood tests will force me to deal with this new addiction, which I'm okay doing. Any thoughts? I'm I alone?
Monica M.
on 4/11/12 8:24 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
transfer addictions are quite common. You need to deal with this now, instead of waiting for your upcoming blood tests to confirm what you know is a problem. The difficulty in waiting for blood tests to confirm it, is sometimes your body takes longer to respond to difficulties than you would think. Your body is quite adaptive, and will function well longer than you think. Deal with your addiction now.

Karen W.
on 4/11/12 9:21 pm - Canada
I agree with Monica.  The longer it goes on, the harder it will be to live with. I work as an addictions and mental health counsellor; PM me, let me know where you live and a little more info about what's gong on, and I might be able to refer you to services.  The other option is to try out AA (Alcoholics Anonymous).  If you choose this, I suggest trying several meetings before deciding if it is for you. 

I'm in recovery, and 12-step meetings saved my life (coming up on 21 years clean and sober).  Best thing I ever did, as it has allowed all of the other positive things in my life to happen (including WLS).

RNY April 11, 2011       

TBIYTC
on 4/11/12 2:08 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
You have succeeded on so many fronts - congratulations!!!  You are truly an inspiration!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics