Sleep Apnea serious stuff

Jason W.
on 4/14/12 6:25 am - Canada
A young family member of mine passed away due to heart attack brought on by Sleep Apnea. He was 36 years old. His kids of 11, 6 and 3 were there trying to wake dad up, but dad stopped breathing sometime in the night causing a heart attack.

PLEASE if you snore, get your Apnea test done. The mask gets some time to get used to, but it can save your life.

If you are overweight and have apnea, it is like a ticking time bomb. Just solidified my reasons for having WLS...........Sorry if this post is brunt and to the point, but such is life and obesity related deaths.

Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 7:16 am - Canada
Jason, so sorry to hear about the loss in your family. 36 is way too young to go. There are A LOT of us who never have sleep apnea symptoms but have the disorder. It's so important to get checked out. It's sad that a situation like this has to be the reminder.
Patti K.
on 4/14/12 7:22 am - Kingston On, Canada
Jason...I'm sorry for your loss...to you and your family.  I'm nearly 4 years post op and I'm still battling sleep apnea...so you are right...very important to have a sleep study and not ignore the warning signals!!...Patti K.

sweetvania
on 4/14/12 8:42 am - mississauga, Canada
jason so sorry to hear about ur loss my gonolances to yourself and your family, yes i aggree get tested it is a terrible thing and it doesnt always go away after wls i know i still have mine and i mite always seeing as many many people in my family have it including my father sometimes called the silent killer as it doesnt alway have symptoms definantly get urself tested and continue to thru the years that is my best advice!!! true the mask can save ur life!!!
RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/14/12 9:31 am - Windsor, Canada
First of all, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. So sad that this family no longer has a Dad. I'm so sorry for everyone on the loss of this young man.

Thank you for posting this. Time and time again, I hear people complaining about the sleep apnea testing, having to get a CPAP etc.  I never understand why there is so much resistance - I know it's time and money and alot of patience to get used to a mask but my goodness, people like your family member actually pass away because of sleep apnea related problems.

I've posted your message to my WLS group as I think this helps to put things into persective so I want to thank you so much for passing along your message.  Much appreciated.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 4/14/12 9:37 am - Mississauga, Canada
How sad.  I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I've pulled out my old CPAP to try it out tonight.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 9:50 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Sorry to hear about your family members losing their dad.  I'm very happy that you posted about the importance of CPAP.  There was a post a few days ago that had me concerned on this very subject.  Far too many people make a huge deal about using CPAP and far too many stop using it without a repeat sleep test saying it is okay to stop.  I'm almost 7 years post op and was recently re-diagnosed with a different type of apnea so it's back on CPAP I go. 

Once again my condolences to all your family on this tragic loss.
gods_girl67
on 4/14/12 10:42 am - Wasaga Beach, Canada
RNY on 03/27/12
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting this very important message.
I am so grateful for my severe sleep apnea diagnosis :
A) for the practical reason that because of faithful use of my CPAP I now get
a truly restful sleep but also
B) I have minimized some very serious and potentially fatal
risks.
Some minor mask discomfort for a very short while is a small price to pay. So I spent $600 out of pocket---how much is my life worth? Now that's a question best directed to my husband and kids....

referral: aug 2011; general orientation: Sept 26, 2011; surgeon appt: Oct 5, 2011;
GB Class: Oct 18, 2011; SW & RN: Oct 20, 2011; Dietitian: Nov 14, 2011;
Dietitian: Jan 9, 2012; Surgeon appt: Feb 2, 2012; Optifast start: Mar 6, 2012
Surgery Date: Mar 27, 2012
stewartjackie
on 4/14/12 1:45 pm - Pickering, Canada
Jason, thank you so much for posting this, and don't worry about being brunt, this is serious topic and needs a serious message.
I am so very sorry for your family's loss, and my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Perhaps by posting this you have saved someone else's life.....
jackie

Lorraine M.
on 4/14/12 1:57 pm - Canada
 Oh no, that is so sad. I am sorry for your loss and for those 3 children who no longer have their Dad. What a horrible thing for them to have found him dead in bed. Traumatizing for them. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Dont apologize for being blunt. Important messages like thi**** hard as they should. Thank you for sharing this,

My prayers are with you and your family,

Most Active
Recent Topics