Sick Leave...E.I.

scorpioboy33
on 4/20/12 10:48 pm
Hi Guys,
First of all sorry so many threads....I just have a ton of questions about lots of stuff...any

E.I. Questions....

We don't have short term disability at work (cheap *****s)....anyway has anyone here dealt with E.I. for sick benefits?

1. I've got like a few sick days left....should I take them or does that get taken of my EI benefit....

2. I'm getting my Record of Employment Monday..should I put in the claim before I get my surgery?

3. I've got a letter from the hospital saying I need to be off for 6-8 weeks...is there anything else I need?

Thanks Alot!
Bill

Rachel O.
on 4/20/12 11:13 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 03/02/12
Hey Bill...I am on EI now from when I had my surgery. So I will try and answer what I can.

1) I would take them just so you don't loose them.

2) You get up to 15 weeks on EI for sick benefits. SO I would file on the last day of work. Remember you have a 2 week waiting period before you will receive anything.

3) Nope I think that's all you will need. Just keep the letter with you. You can file on-line and don't need to go into a Service Canada. They may ask for the letter later so just keep it safe for now.(see below)

Question for you... Can they do your ROE on line and send it right to Service Canada?!?! If not you will have to go in to file your claime.  My job was able to send it right to service Canada ( they sent me a hard copy)  
scorpioboy33
on 4/20/12 11:21 pm

thanks so much..great info!!!!

as far as the sick pay I won't lose it if I don't use it..but if I do take it..will that money be take off or hold me back as far as the waiting period..I know it sounds confusing....

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 12:12 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I believe if you take your sick pay, it's like vacation pay and they may hold back some of the EI.I was laid off in late fall and they were supposed to give me my vacation pay 4 weeks before the lay off but the accounting chick screwed up and threw it all on my last cheque so my waiting time ended up being 4 weeks instead of 2.  If you are not going to lose your sick days then I'd not bother and just do your 2 weeks of waiting on EI and then save those days as you may need them later.
Jason W.
on 4/21/12 12:28 am - Canada
I believe any money(s) have to be declared as income even during your waiting period. But who claims a few days. I wouldn't. Your last day of physically working, should be your last day.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 12:31 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Except the ROE will show those monies. 
Jason W.
on 4/21/12 3:10 am - Canada
Not always. It should though.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

cayleighsmom
on 4/21/12 12:30 am
RNY on 06/05/12
Hi Bill,

I hav not had my surgery yet, but did have to apply for sick leave thsi past February.  I did not have to serve the 2 week waiting period.  They explaind that becasue i had exhaustd my sick days at work, the 2 week period would be waived.  It mase no censeto me, but i did'nt argue. 

Good luck,
Barbie
sam1am
on 4/21/12 12:55 am
Depending on how you feel about it, you may not need that much time.  If it is a physical job, thats a completely different story.  I don't get sick days, so I took  a 1 week  vacation and went back to my desk job without a problem.  

good luck either way!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

scorpioboy33
on 4/21/12 1:58 am
Thanks pal...I work an office job ..but what the Hell I'm gonna take 6 weeks so I can get adjusted and yah...f)(* it! Im worth it :)
Most Active
Recent Topics