what I'm worried about

scorpioboy33
on 4/23/12 8:06 am
I. I'm worried about the 2 days before surgery of no food...no optifast....yikes how does one stay upright

2. I'm worried about the 7 weeks without solid food....I'm sure I'll do it...

3. I'm worried something might happen bad during surgery....

that's it...whining over
Anna1963
on 4/23/12 8:20 am - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 02/16/12
First of all you need to keep your head up cause you will do just fine.  We all have gone through what you are about to do.  The 7 weeks will fly by a bit slow at first but you will get used to it.  It  does take time to get our minds into the way you will live a new way of thinking.  The surgery part no worries the surgeons are all great. Good luck to you

charolli
on 4/23/12 8:41 am - Canada
1. I was able to have optifast and fluids(broth et****il the evening pre-op....check with your centre....this doesn't sound right)
2. You will be amazed how  challenging it is to get in the clear & full fluids, and then the soft diet in during the first 7 weeks....i never felt hungry. Once i could have a soft poached egg at 3 weeks out....it was the most amazing meal i had in months.

3. Your chances of doing extremely well during surgery probably surpass any risks you have by not losing the weight......think positive...most of us do fabulously....you are in good hands.

dwell on the positives...not the negatives....and enjoy the ride......

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

MegClever
on 4/23/12 8:53 am - Cambridge, Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I am a few days ahead of you, just finished my first of 2 days on clear fluids.  Hamilton seems to be stricter than the other centers.  I managed today by drinking constantly, but it has been tough.  The only thing keeping me going is the reason I am doing this - I want to be healthy for me and my kids and that makes all of your questions (which are the same as mine) easy.  See you on the bench!

Megan
scorpioboy33
on 4/23/12 8:54 am
right on.....guys...thanks so very much....I feel better about it
JennR
on 4/23/12 9:00 am
At St. Joes Hamilton 2 days post op we are allowed nothing but clear fluids. You can drink as much as of it as you want as long as it is clear. I bought big jugs of apple and white grape juice, it was such a nice change from optifast!! You will not have a problem staying upright! The 7 weeks post op is challenging but I loved the regimented diet. It works for me not to have to think too much about what I have to eat. Finally it is extremely normal to be worried about surgery, everyone is aware or should be aware when having general anesthesia that something bad could happen. The good news is that the St. Joes nurse said no one has ever died during WLS surgery or from post op complications. So you've got a hospital with an excellent track record and experienced surgeons. You couldn't ask for anything better.

Moselle
on 4/23/12 10:19 am - Athens, Canada
 You'll do just fine. Just keep drinking your fluids and try to stay busy and the days will fly by.  Post-op you don't have to worry about  being hungry because you won't be for the first little while for sure.

Playing the "what if" game is something that we all do.  Just remember that there are very good reasons for having the surgery and they wouldn't be doing the surgery if they didn't think that you would survive it. See you on the bench.
Tanya T.
on 4/23/12 12:08 pm
These are all the same things many of us worried about your not alone.  Your going to do great!!

Tanya

scorpioboy33
on 4/23/12 9:29 pm
Well last day on opti..than two liquids

I'm playing a gig for a retirement party tomorrow night...kinda wondering if I'm gonna have the energy for it....I wonder why they caught you off opti so fast?
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 9:53 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
You are going to do great!!
Most Active
Recent Topics