Intubation

Tracey H.
on 4/28/12 4:37 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Hi All,

I just read a post that made me very nervous!

I go for my PATTS on Tuesday, so I will find out more information at that point; but, i'm quite panicked now and just want to see if others can shed some light.

I read that someone was told that they may need to be intubated while awake. Is this common? Can they do it while asleep?

I had my gallbladder out several years ago and DO NOT remember being intubated while awake. If it happened, i was definatley asleep.

Have there been any people who have been intubated while asleep? 

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 4:39 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I've only read of maybe 3 people being intubated while awake.  It is definitely not common at all.  I've had a gazillion surgeries when MO and never once was it done awake.
Tracey H.
on 4/28/12 4:42 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Thank goodness! I was about to go into a full blown panic attack LOL I don't do well with things like that. As long as i'm asleep i'm fine.

Thanks again!

BrigitteD
on 4/28/12 4:49 am - Sumerstown, Canada
I had my PATT on Friday and I ask the same question to the nurse cause I had heard that to and it was a concern of mine to.  She said its not common. Its just if the anesthesiologist thinks that you re troat is not big enought when sleeping.  Larger people when sleeping the fat from the neck pushes back on the air way and can make it hard for them to interbate laying on you re back. Someting like that.  So when you re anesthesiology's tells you to open wide at you PATT.  Make sure to open wide lol.

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Catw
on 4/28/12 6:59 am - Arnprior, Canada
 Hi Tracey,

I started about the same size as you, and I was asleep for everything, includingthe intubation.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Cathy

350Ann180
on 4/28/12 7:05 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Interesting Tracey - I just had PATTS on Thursday and he indicated to me that I will have to be awake for intubation.  I am not happy at that!

I asked what would happen - he said they would freeze the throat with the spray and give me something to relax me - sort of out of it - but able to understand what they would be saying. Then put me out as soon as it was in.

I am freaking out about it too......

Ann

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 7:18 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Ann did he say why you would have to be awake?  I know thick neck can be one reason but am sure there are others.
350Ann180
on 4/28/12 11:10 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Yes - he made me flex my head backward and said I didn't have alot of extention.  So awake I will be!

3turtles
on 4/28/12 7:46 am - Columbus, OH
I've had it done, they give you the preliminary anesthesia that makes you woozy and tired and you can't see straight and they numb the back of your throat. You just tilt your head back and you don't feel anything except someone's hand on your chin. Then they put you out immediately. If they didn't put you out immediately after that you would fight the intibation. Don't worry. It is painless and takes mere moments.
consultation: 8/29/11 nutritionist: 9/7/11 psych eval: 9/12/11 stress test: 9/20/11 gi scope: 9/21/11 nurse visit: 9/28/11 SURGERY: 9/29/11

ern1975
on 4/28/12 7:50 am - Brampton, Canada
I would be nervous too! HRRH put me to sleep first then intubated me (thank god) they even put me to sleep for my scope to fix my stricture. I don't think it's common but I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you do.
Ernestine   

Most Active
Recent Topics