I want to run

kmachan
on 5/6/12 9:50 am - Straford, Canada
I want to be a runner but have no idea where to begin.  any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
Karrianne
I'm loving angels instead...

Monica M.
on 5/6/12 10:23 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yay for you!!!

if you need something really structured, look for a Running Room in your area, they run "learn to run" programs.

If you think you can do it on your own, there are "couch to 5k" programs on the internet that  you can do.

good luck!

remember injury prevention is key, you don't want to get hurt and lose your momentum.

you're running your own race.

Marny B.
on 5/6/12 10:23 am, edited 5/5/12 10:24 pm - Canada
I would highly recommend signing up for a Running Room clinic if you have one around you, and if you can afford it. They are usually around $70 for aprox 13 weeks (that's 3 times a week). They have a Learn to Run clinic for beginners that teachers you everything you need to know. Plus, running with a group helps you to blend in a bit, if you are nervous about venturing out on your own. I found it really motivating when I first started.

If you don't want to do that, then you can look up the "Couch to 5k" program on line. It is a free running schedule with advice on how to get yourself on a schedule and build your fitness up to 5 km. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You can even do something as simple as going out on your own. Run from one light post to the next, then walk a length to the next light post. Repeat.

You don't have to run for hours at a time. 20-30 minutes is good to start, but try to do it 3 times a week, otherwise it will always feed hard. You need to build your cardio fitness. Make sure to monitor yourself for joint or persistent muscle pain, and if it lasts for more than a couple of minutes, stop and walk or stretch it out. Don't try to "push through the pain". You'll injure yourself. Do make sure to get some quality shoes if you are going to pursue it. Shoes can make or break you. Bad shoes can set you up for joint and muscle problems in no time flat.

Most of all, have fun, take it all with a grain of salt. If you aren't;t fantastic at it or if you don't fall in love with it right away, try it out for a couple of weeks. Strangely, it grows on some people.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/12 10:25 am
Couch to 5k training, can be found on iTunes that gives you intervals to run and walk and you do it gradually and at a pace you are comfortable with. You can find written instructions too just by searching for the name "Couch to 5k" if you do not have iTunes.
It costs nothing, so that's the best thing.

kmachan
on 5/6/12 11:41 pm - Straford, Canada
Thank you all for your advice I honestly think the only time I have be know to run is if I'm being chased by a bee!!!LOL But I see people all the time and think I can do that!
Karrianne
I'm loving angels instead...

Gabygee
on 5/6/12 11:47 pm - Canada
I was so happy to be able to run for the first time in decades, it felt wonderful.
I went to the Running Room near me, and signed up for the Learn to Run programme.
It was $79, and it did last 13 weeks.

Only problem is - my pre-existing heart condition suddenly jolted me out of the programme about halfway through. It had nothing to do with the weightloss - this was an inherited heart problem which caused it.

The Running Room people weren't all beginners, which I found a little problematic. I was a true novice, where the rest of the group wasn't all like that. But we newbies stuck together, and the instructor was amazing.

So go for it. especially with the nice weather now, you feel so good afterward - it really does energize the rest of your day.

Most Active
Recent Topics