RNY or Sleeve Need some help

meemee1966
on 5/17/12 7:38 am - Canada
 need some advice decidng which one to get i have read up on both surgeries but i am leaning towards sleeve i dont really want them to reroute things but again they would cut half of my stomach off i want to get the best results and wish i could figure out which one would be best for me. I have 100 pds to loose i still have my lapband in a will need to get that out first so i dont know what the process would be and which operation they would do for me anyways but i am hoping they will do whatever will help me the most i have tried lapband this did not work for me lots of problems dont want to get into lots of puking, more heart burn etc i have been through the works with the lapbands any advice would be very helpful
OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/17/12 9:31 am
If you are having problems with GERD then VSG may not be the answer. .. I went from having no GERD to Gerd from hell including regerge and aspiration pneumonia.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

sam1am
on 5/17/12 10:36 am
  Don't worry about getting 85% of your stomach cut off, you'll never want it back, trust me.  BTW, I had a 100 to lose and did it in 10 months and love my sleeve.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/17/12 11:01 am
Just to be clear I love my sleeve too, nearly 200 pounds in less than 2 years.  I just wanted to let her know that GERD can be a bigger problem with sleeves than RNY.

Oknee's just gotta dance
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"

meemee1966
on 5/17/12 11:06 am - Canada
i take pills for the heartburn seems to help alot but i am concerned about it getting worse is the heartburn less with the rny i am so confused just want to make the right decision this time so tired of trying and failing
OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/17/12 11:12 am, edited 5/17/12 11:14 am
That is  a question you need to ask your surgeon, I know that I had no GERD prior to VSG and now am on 4 different meds to combat GERD.  I also have regurge in my sleep and have had several aspiration pneumonias.  I have a very small sleeve more of a green bean than a banana, 2 years out and I am limited to 2/3 of a cup per meal.  My surgeon tells me that GERD is a major issue with sleeves,  The surgery to fix my GERD issues called a fundelectomy is not possible because I no longer have that part of my stomach.

I still would do it over again because despite the GERD my life is much richer now than before

Oknee's just gotta dance

sam1am
on 5/17/12 11:19 am
 Yes, I agree as I have GERD issues as well, both before and after.  Luckily its usually under control with 2 Nexium daily.

Sandy                                           

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/17/12 11:27 am
Nexium was less than effective for me.  I was taking the MAX dose of 40 mg four times a day.  My GI guy finally switched me to Delexalant (sp?) it truly is the magic pill.  I missed one dose last week and was in deep doo doo within 24 H

Oknee's just gotta dance

sam1am
on 5/17/12 11:38 am
Poor you, needing something so strong.  I may have to remember the name of that stuff someday.  

Sorry to highjack here, but I have read a few things on OH lately that have had me questioning ppi's. Keep in mind that I don't remember where read it, so I may not be remembering verbatim.  I heard something about when taking ppi's you don't absorb things as well because of the lack of stomach acid.  Should we be supplementing more if we take ppi's?  My last labs were perfect, but I was only taking one a day then.  I saw, where someone else mentioned that you should take one ppi and one (don't remember the name of the stuff), pill to "mop" up excess acid, (Gaviscon type??)  thus keeping the absorption working and the GERD from being a problem.  How do you feel about that? I am currently on antibiotics and they seem very resistant (still a mild fever on the 4 day of taking them) and wondering if I should stop taking them for a few days??? 

Sandy                                           

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/17/12 11:55 am
I was going to PM you as I do not give medical advice on public forum.  Yes PPI do interfere with the absorption and fate of some medications such as iron salts and some antibiotics.  I do not think it is necessary to "mop up" all of the acids, some is needed to digest most foods.  I take a PPI and an H inhibitor (not ebery day)  my physician is good at weighing out what meds work best with my GERD control.

Oknee's just gotta dance

Most Active
Recent Topics