Post Op Day 3 question

Gorgeous84
on 5/21/12 6:48 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12

What happens if I end up sleeping for one hour- do I have to average out my
liquid for that hour to make up for what I missed? 

How much excercise to get? So I have done 20 min walks but they are catching up with me.

Supposed to be on full fluids according to St. Joe's Hamilton - but it is taking everything in me
just to finish 120mls of water,  60mls of protein shake and the occasional 30ml applesauce w/ meds- anyone else from st. joe's think they this is nuts "since they "changed" the program"
 as I heard in my Apr. 27th class.

Otherwise doing alright- living with my little discomfort cuz who ever invented liquid codeine- should be shot!

There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

Megan M.
on 5/21/12 7:32 am - Canada
Your goal is to try to get in as much fluid as you can, but don't force it.  The numbers they give you are your goal.  It's very har right after surgery to get all that in, so you have to aim to get a little more each time.  You'll probably find that after a couple of weeks you'll be able to handle a fair amount.  The real key is to be sipping constantly.  Your pouch is just newly formed and is swollen, so you can't get any real volume in there.  As the swelling subsides you'll find yourself able to handle more and more.  I found protein shakes very hard to get down - the tiniest bit would fill me to overflowing, so I had to switch to a more liquid cooler type.  It all takes time.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

TrishwantstoLive
on 5/21/12 7:41 am - Ennismore, Canada
 Keep sipping and moving. Your doing great!!
Referral:  August/2011                                    Nutrition Class: April 3rd/2012 TWH
Orientation: Jan/11/2012 at TWH                  Nutrition Assesment: May 15th/2012
Social Worker: March 6th/2012 at TWH       Psychologist: May15th/2012
Nurse Practioner: April 3rd/2012 TWH         Meeting with Sleep Dr: June 19th/2012
Meeting w Surgeon: Oct 12th/2012               Surgery Date: February 27th/2013

cutekatie
on 5/21/12 7:56 am
RNY on 05/16/12
I'm five days post op but through Ottawa. Even though the book says two litres of water and sixty grams of protein the nurse said whatever you can handle so don't worry.

I find when I wake up from naps and nighttime sleeping I'm super thirsty so have water next to my bed at all times.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Gorgeous84
on 5/21/12 9:06 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12
Thanks everyone for the help/input! Right now still feeling everything is too good to be true- no vomiting, recovery has been a dream so far!
There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

Monica M.
on 5/21/12 12:48 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
you're doing fine. If the walks are too much for you right now, scale that back.

Blu-Diva
on 5/22/12 9:29 am - Hamilton, Canada
 I'm from St. Joe's, It sound like your doing great keep Up the good work. I just gradually work My self up to about 40  Min. of walking and with my liquids too. Do what you can It ok to work at it little by little.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics