Weight gain before surgery

NorthernStar
on 5/29/12 4:36 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
When I first started looking into surgery, I heard all about "last supper syndrome" and swore I would never do that. I promised myself I would lose some weight before surgery.

And here, I haven't done either. According to the scale this morning, I have gained 14 lbs from my first HRRH appointments in January. I am ashamed of myself and a bit sad. I am worried I won't be successful after surgery. My surgery date is set and my PATTS is on Thursday, but I am worried my surgery might be delayed over my weight gain. Maybe I am just being too anxious. 

Just a vent. Thanks for listening.  

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Karen M.
on 5/29/12 4:40 am - Mississauga, Canada
Please don't feel badly about yourself.  Shame, guilt.... all the kinds of terrible things we tell ourselves as obese people.  I completely understand your anxieties.  I also understand how the weight gain happened.  Try not to fret about it.  See what happens on Thursday and go from there.  Hang in there.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

cayleighsmom
on 5/29/12 4:52 am
RNY on 06/05/12
i had gained 5 pounds from referral to my apointments and PaTTS.  they never blinked an eye.  I'm through Humber
350Ann180
on 5/29/12 4:56 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12

Ann 

Catw
on 5/29/12 5:06 am - Arnprior, Canada
We all make promises to ourselves, sometimes we keep them, sometimes we can't.  But just because we didn't keep a promise, doesn't mean we fail.  We only fail if we stop trying to keep the promise.

I wasn't smart enough to be on here from Day 1, and it took me a while to find the Ontario forum, so I didn't have as much support or answers.   I did have two co-workers that had the surgery, and was getting lots of information and encouragement from them.

I know I didn't lose any weight between starting the process and starting Opti, the scale kept climbing.  My highest weight was 348lbs.  And I felt like a blob.  Kinda like Barbamama (old cartoon).  I didn't plan a last supper, it was spontanious.  I got a call Tuesday afternoon, told me to start Opti on Wednesday.  That's when my new life started.

We are all worried on how well we'll do with our new tool, but so far I've done alright, and I've seen others do great!  I still have challenges to overcome, and they will come.  Just need to take more time.

Good luck with your PATTS.
Cathy

happypants
on 5/29/12 5:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
I wouldn't give it another thought. I had surgery last July. Before surgery I gained about 10 lbs. I felt like a complete failure having told myself that I wouldn't gain. The WMC in Ottawa didn't bat an eye. WE all have weight issues or we wouldn't be in line for wls.

try to pick yourself up and brush yourself off, look at today as a brand new day. We are our own worst enemies at times aren't we. The internal self talk we do can be so destructive. Instead of being upset and ashamed with yourself try looking on the positive side.

Thursday will be just fine an surgery is just around the corner.

Good luck on Thursday :-)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Leanne1
on 5/29/12 5:37 am - Newmarket, Canada
I had "last supper" syndrome too.
When I started this journey, I was 245 lbs. I lost about 30 lbs gained about 13lbs and the day of surgery I was 209 lbs.

Try not to worry tooooo much
Leslie W.
on 5/29/12 5:53 am - Cobourg, Canada

We have all been where you are. The thing is to recognize the whys. I put on about 10 lbs from referral before orientation, It just sneaks up on you. Stop being so hard on your self. The great thing about Opti and surgery is that for me it broke the cravings and I felt so good afterward with   that it wasn't an issue post op.
Good luck with your PATTS

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/12 5:55 am - Canada
Dont fret about the weight gain. They'll take your weight at PATTS and from there they'll expect you to lose the weight on Opti. The doctor will have the info from PATTS and on the day of surgery, you'll be weighed again. I only lost 11lbs and still had the surgery and that was on 4 weeks of Opti!
jdance
on 5/29/12 6:55 am - Canada
I just want to put my 2 cents in here
While your clinic might not bat an eye at the weight gain, Guelph looks down on that.

I wouldn't want anyone going thru guelph to think that they can just eat away without reprocusion.

My surgeon told me I could have been cancelled.

While I don't think that will happen to you based on what the people have said. It scared the #2 out of me.

And we all do it you are where you are because of it, but your new life awaits and you will be fine.

almost 2 years out and STILL at goal... yipee.

Best of luck
J

Most Active
Recent Topics