0% fat means watch the sugar content

Jason W.
on 6/11/12 6:49 am - Canada
Buying yogart and wanted the highest protein content with the least amount of fat and sugar.

Not an easy task. I settled with Liberte 0% fat greek yogart with 18g of protein and 5g of sugar per serving. I will then mix in my own berries and sweeten with spenda.

I had bought the same Liberte 0% premixed with assorted fruit but realized after they were at 19g of sugar per serving.

I love how they claim 0% fat but load up the sugar content in foods. It is the sugar and carbs that make you fat, not the fat content. Your body doesn't turn fat into fat. Fatty foods cause high colesterol and the assorted problems with that.

But ignorance is bliss in the food industry. The best is subways claim of sandwiches with less than 6g of fat. But nothing about the sugar and carbs from their bread and dressings alone.

I strongly believe homemade with yourself controlling the contents is the best way to go.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Toni B.
on 6/11/12 6:57 am - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
Good advice and a good reminder for us all! Never forget to read the nutrition label, because the food industry is notorious for false advertising!

Thanks for sharing...

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/12 7:01 am - Straford, Canada
 good to keep in mind!  thanks!  
sam1am
on 6/11/12 7:26 am
 I definitely agree with the fresh and homemade!  So much junk in premade food!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

smiley_k
on 6/11/12 8:10 am
You definitely do have to read all the labels for sure! But remember too, with yogurt, there is no such thing as sugar free because yogurt is made from milk (which contains lactose=milk sugar) so it will have some sugar content. I use the same brand you buy and like it now that I've gotten used to it.
Katie  ♥     

PatXYZ
on 6/11/12 9:56 am
Yep, very true. This is why I don't buy reduced fat anything! I'd rather the fat than the carbs. There is actually interesting research on carbs having a nasty impact on health measures that were previously thought to be fat dependent like cholesterol.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Blu-Diva
on 6/11/12 10:51 am - Hamilton, Canada
 So true, thanks

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

JJ_
on 6/11/12 12:14 pm
This is why I prefer the PC greek yogurt either 0 percent or 2 percent.

Judy
ericaFG
on 6/11/12 12:19 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 Yup - those sneaky buggers make that yogurt taste so yummy by adding sugar and fruit!

I buy the french vanilla coffee sweetner sticks (http://www.splenda.com/products/flavors-for-coffee)

Add one of those to your plain yogurt with a bit of fruit and it tastes pretty much as good as the real deal.

My friend adds a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a tbls. of natural peanut butter and mixes it well, then semi-freezes it to make chocolate peanut-butter "ice cream".  Haven't tried it yet, but she swears by it.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

MissGlitter
on 6/11/12 3:48 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
 I looked at this myself a while ago Jason and it was like WTF?  It was a let down to be exploring all the fat free stuff and find out that not only the sugar being high but the sodium levels and low fiber were a shock.  

Tell me what kind of berries you used in the yogurt?  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Most Active
Recent Topics