Questions and guidance!!!

rosie1985
on 6/12/12 12:52 am - Canada
hey everyone,

ok so I start my optifast on friday and need to start preparing for the the things I am going to need. Can anyone suggest any of the following

1) multivitamins
2) vitamin D
3) protein shakes pre-made
4) calcium

also......

what would a day in the life of a WLS patient be at the very beginning.....how often do I have to eat......if anyone could help me out on these thingsi t would begreat

one more thing.....on optifast....what can you munch on veggie wise and can you have sugar free jello???

rosie
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 12:56 am, edited 6/12/12 1:17 am - Guelph, Canada
it depends greatly on the center.. I am in Guelph so post op we are on NO vits at all till about 2 months out.

day 1-13 we are on clear fluids.. broth and diluted juice and jello... then we move to full fluids...we are not "allowed" to have protein shakes...

I eat at 8am 10.. 12...2....5....7

I am 5 days post op

at guelph we are not allowed veggies to munch on. during opti.. (psssst... they are uptight)
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 1:13 am - Straford, Canada
 have not found a premixed protein shake that tasted good to me, but its persoanl preference.  Both GNC and Costco sell brands that I have tried but do not like.  I bought a baby bullet and its small enough to take with me to some places, it makes the smoothie and comes with sealable jar that lets me take the fruit/protein powder/yoghurt premixed, it just liquifies it when I'm ready.

Every centre is a bit different, make sure  you attend and listen well during dietician class and meeting. 

"eating" seems to be all consuming to me, I used to eat two to three times a day.  Now, 3 weeks post op it seems I'm eating six to seven times a day trying to get my protein in.  

Buy a couple of different protein powders, one unflavored to add to soups/pudding/whatever, and one vanilla or whatever flavour you think will go well in a smoothie.  

That's my 2 cents, enjoy the ride!   YOLO!   
Jason W.
on 6/12/12 1:17 am - Canada
Mulit-vitamin............Centrum Forte on sale at Cosco. Has 10mg of Iron (need 2 a day)
 Vitamin D.........Jamieson chewable. Berry flavored at Wally Mart
Calcium..........Wellness Liquid with vitamin D.........At Wally Mart
Protein shakes.................Premier Protein Shakes at Cosco. Chocolate and have 30g protein.

So basically Cosco and Wally Mart have it all, best prices too. If you don't have a Cosco card borrow one or get one. You will need it, believe me.

I eat 4 to 5 times a day. Portions are small but loaded with Protein and nutrients. Be very mindful of your bowel movement. I had a heck of a time with hard stools. I would suggest introducing a probiotic yogart 2 to 3 times a day to get things regular. Will need Milk of Magnesia the first 2 weeks, with medication and natural healing causing constipation for most people.

The HRRH program allows a cup or two of green veggies and sugar fee jello with optifast. Also can have low sodium broth (life saver if your a meat lover like me).

Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 1:38 am - Guelph, Canada
 hey I have been meaning to ask you... what pro biotic did you take when the chevy was stuck in the garage (i think thats how you put it...lol) 
Jason W.
on 6/12/12 3:32 am - Canada
I went with Liberte 0% yogart twice a day. It has over a million probiotics.

BTW it was a Buick I was trying to pass. Not fun.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 3:48 am - Guelph, Canada
 LOL thanks... I knew it was a big car..
Gorgeous84
on 6/12/12 5:37 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12
4 weeks out from St. Joe's Hamilton.

1) Preg-vit is a prescription multivit- if you have coverage, I recommend never having to pay for it again and the clinic approves. Otherwise avoid Jamieson (I was told by them) d/t a "lack of selenium"

2) and 4) Walmart has 'Equate" brand of calcium CITRATE and D - take 2 twice a day (chopped/crushed)- have to be in two doses for absorption purposes

3) Love me my costco premier shakes. Yeeesss, they only come in chocolate but so handy to have something predicatable, measurable and easy . You can treat shakes like opti and add flavouring.

As much jello as you like - it's a freebee and chick broth but NO veggies at this clinic.

I was part of "first group to try the new diet" and it progresses pretty fast - like 1-2 wks a stage and no puree/minced just right from fluids to soft foods.

Ditto on the BOWELS from Jason:  I used senekot x2 and docusate sodium x2 - both tiny pills at night and voila in the am. I found all the yogurt to filing and beware of benefibre. Can cause more problems if you don't drink 2L of water alone (our centre just wanted 2L fluids period).

Good Luck- You will still have a million more questions and that's normal!
Take Care,
Kelsey
There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 7:28 am
1) I like the Bariatric Advantage high ADEK multivitamin. It has higher doses and the right types of vitamins for bariatric patients to properly absorb.
2) Any, just make sure it is D3 and dry, not drops or gelcaps - and you need to be tested to know what your level is to know how much to take. If you're deficient (as most Canadians are) the amount your centre will tell you to take is not enough. If your D level is too low you will not absorb your calcium properly.
3) Don't drink these, I like the Whey Gourmet line of powder
4) I like the Celebrate Caclium Plus - it has added D and magnesium as well as trace minerals that are often missing in non-bariatric multivitamins.

You missed #5 - What are you doing for iron? Don't forget that menstruating women need a separate iron supplement. You cannot absorb enough iron from a multivitamin alone because the calcium in the multivitamin blocks absorption of iron. This is why bariatric multivitamins often don't have any iron in them at all - it is just a waste. Good types of iron for you post-op include polysaccharide iron, heme iron and carbonyl iron, stay away from iron salts which will constipate you and you won't absorb them properly.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics