Constipation

Tracey H.
on 6/17/12 7:35 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
First, sorry if this is TMI!

I am almost 3 weeks post op and haven't had a problem with bowel movements until now. 

I haven't went in 4 days, so i tried to "push" it out but it took a really long time and hardly anything came out. I still feel like there is something in there, but don't want to keep pushing and straining.

I am uncomfortable.

What can I use?

Thanks,

Tracey

debralight
on 6/17/12 7:39 am - Canada
The clinic (HRRH)  i went to suggested milk of magnesia .. and if necessary take it every hour on the hour til you go.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Monica M.
on 6/17/12 7:41 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
you might need a suppository, or an enema.

you should probably be taking a stool softener, on a regular basis, if you aren't already.

you may need to try something like lactulose syrup on a regular basis , as well.

as well as drinking LOTS of fluids. If you're taking metamucil or something like that, and not enough fluids, it'll just make things worse. You need to get things moving NOW, and then add in the stool softeners on a regular basis.

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 7:48 am - Straford, Canada
 I was sent home with a stool softner as a script, though it was otc.  I have the same issues, thanks gawd for the stool softner and my coffee first thing in the AM!  

All I can recommend is tons of water and move (walk, swim, whatever works).  My walking/stool softner/water intake helps me a lot.  Hope one or all the above help!  Ian  
Jason W.
on 6/17/12 7:55 am - Canada
Tracey, i had the same problem around the 2nd to 3rd week. There are several factors that cause constipation, the main cause is your new diet combined with the new plumbing creating harder stools that pass slowly.

I had to use a glycerin capsule to loosen the stool so I could finally go. Yes you have to insert it you know where (believe me not fun). Then I drank milk of magnesium with every meal for a few days. This will get things moving.

The long term fix for me was probiotics in yogart and plenty of fluids. I eat about 2 cups of yogart with fruit a day. 1 in the morning, one at night. I drink v8 juice for fiber and lots of water.

Now i go 2 to 3 times a day. In fact it seems my metabolism has sped up some. Pre-surgery I was once a day in the morning.

4 days is a long time. I would also contact the clinic.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Bonnie ABC
on 6/17/12 7:56 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Sometimes those stool softeners don't help when you are very plugged.  Milk of Magnesia works over night.   Don't let it get back, or you'll end up with fissures.  I would make sure I went every day, or every second day, if not, I'd drink some stuff.   Get enough fluids in. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Tracey H.
on 6/17/12 8:06 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
Thank-you everyone!

I have sent my husband to go get a suppository and some MOM. Ickkkkkk

Jason - thank-you for the advice on probiotics, I will definitely add those into my diet.

I know that I'm not getting much fiber in my diet being as I'm trying to eat mostly proteins.

Thanks all!

Tracey

northernlight
on 6/17/12 10:00 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Tracey,

I had constipation during my 2nd week post-op so I took my usual stool softener, Sennekot. It worked very well overnight & I was able to go the next day & I've been fine since.  Since you've had 4 days without a BM, you may need something stronger to get things moving. I 've also heard a lot of people suggesting Milk of Magnesium, so I hope that the MOM and/or the suppositories work quickly and you feel better very soon! I haven't had that problem since then - I do make sure to drink a lot throughout the day & I also eat lots of yogurt. Good luck!  

Deb

lexxiblue
on 6/17/12 11:32 am
RNY on 01/11/12
Hi Tracey
it doesn't get any better! i take benefibre faithfully in my protein drink in the morning and a stool softener (soflax) in the afternoon... and sometimes it's like giving birth the pushing i have to do!  that's the one thing in the year of waiting  i never heard anyone complain about or mention!  not at one orientation, meet the surgeon, internist or surgical class meeting.. oh well... just one of those things we have to put up with.. and if that's the only problem i have (so far.. knock on wood!)...  then i have to stop *****ing about it... good luck to you!
Deb
Nikkismom
on 6/17/12 1:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
Hi Tracey,
If the MOM doesn't work, you may try a Fleet enema. Warm it up by sitting it in very warm water. (NEVER IN THE MICROVAVE!!!!!) You may need help administering it but do so lying on your left side or assume the bottom up position while on your elbows and knees. Hold it in, hold it, hold it, hold it....... for 15 minutes if you can! The longer the better. And then you should be able to go. After that, if unsucessful, its disimpaction and a tripple H soap suds enema........ High.... Hot and a Hell of Alot!
I know this issue very well .
Good luck.....
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Most Active
Recent Topics