Protein shake flavours

Nikkismom
on 6/17/12 11:22 pm - Toronto, Canada
Good morning folks,
First I would like to say how wonderful I find this forum. Everyone is SO supportive.
I am working my way through the process toward surgery but since I live alone I would like to be as prepared as possible before the surgery.
i understand the need for the protein but I would like some suggestions for flavours to give some variety and to make things more palatable. I read yesterday that someone adds the lime Crystal Light which makes it taste like key lime pie and that sounds yummy. I do not like the taste of coffee so that would be out for me.
I would love to get some other suggestions of things I can combine with the protein to make it appealing.
Thank you for any and all suggestions!
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Monica M.
on 6/17/12 11:31 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
when you're talking about Protein shakes, are you referring to the Optifast? or the protein shakes for after surgery?

Optifast only comes in chocolate and vanilla. You can buy sugar free syrups that are meant to go in coffee, they come in all sorts of flavours.

you can purchase those at your local starbucks, or i've found them at Winners/Homesense, or at coffee specialty stores.

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 11:32 pm, edited 6/17/12 11:33 pm - Straford, Canada
Hello Carol!  I'm assuming you mean post surgery.

All my protein shakes are home made smoothies, and I can vary the tatse/texture by what I add.  The base is 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk, 1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt and one scoop protein powder (I use vanilla or unflavoured depending on my taste at that time).  To this base I can add a half dozen ice cubes if I want it to be more dessert like, and/or 1 fresh banana or 1/2 cup frozen fruit of whatever strikes your fancy/fresh fruit like strawberries/raspberries/blueberries.  Blend on high until uniform.  I bought a baby bullet cause its easy to carry with me and clean on the go.  

Enjoy your ride!  Ian  
Nikkismom
on 6/17/12 11:53 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you both for your suggestions. Initially I was referring to post op, and those are great ideas, but I guess I need to have some advice regarding the Optifast as well. Which of the flavours is more popular between the vanilla and chocolate? And, am I able to add the sugarfree flavours from Starbucks to that as well?
I meet with Dr. Glazer, the internest, today. I am so worried that they will find some reason why I cannot have the surgery!!! I have issues with an autoimune illness called Sarcoidosis and I sometimes need high doses of prednisone (very hard on the tummy).
Wish me luck!!!
Thank you both for your ideas.
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Feralgirl
on 6/18/12 2:36 am - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
Checkout fellow forum goer (in the main/US forum) Eggface's blog. She not only has an epic ton of shake ideas, but food and even...gasp...ice cream and cake!
theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/2007/06/my-favorite-p rotein-shake-recipes.html

While having optifast I use these little flavorings from the Bulk Barn. You can get them in many flavors and they are ultra concentrated. They cost about $2.50 each. Root Beer is awesome in vanilla opti btw...like a melted down float.
Crystal light is another one, raspberry goes well with both chocolate and vanilla, as well as the tangarine one.
Also Coconut extract + Lime CL = heaaaven
Winners and Homesense both usually carry SF syrups at a lower price. Also most Fortino's/Superstores that are big enough to have a cafe, carry Divinci SF syrups.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

Mary A.
on 6/18/12 6:29 am
I agree SF syrups come in all kinds of flavours, better to get an unflavoured protein and doctor it to suit what you like...

I have never experienced using Crystal Light in protein powder...actually can't tolerate CL in any form, as it make my throat feel like I swallowed an SOS cleaning pad.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics