Exercise post-op

Jason W.
on 6/20/12 1:32 am - Canada
I know of 2 people (friends of friends) that had an RNY done in that last  5 years and don't exercise. Both have gained back a good portion of their weight.

This scares me. I strongly feel if I did not start going to the gym at 3 weeks out, I would easily slip into my same old patterns.

If your at 6 weeks out and have not started something other than walking......time to wake up !!! Unless you have medical issues that keep you from doing so.

Anyone watch Biggest loser? There are some big people on there. You will not maintain a heathly weight if you do not introduce a routeen that includes exercise that gets the heart pumping. 110 to 120 beats per minute is ideal.

I hate to preach, but just got an earfull of wining from someone claiming the surgery does not work and I wasted my time.  No sorry slugging back caramel chocolale coolers and not exercising is a complete waist of the gift we were given.

Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Chris_dr2b
on 6/20/12 1:42 am
VSG on 05/23/12
 That is too true. Many whine and look at the negative. Some think, and I've gotten some whining too, that this was something they could do and keep eating like before. Wrong! I can understand your frustration, it gets my goat too. 

Karen M.
on 6/20/12 1:44 am - Mississauga, Canada
Your attitude is right - get yourself active and fit. However, I am the laziest sit-about I know. And I've lost and maintained a 160 lb weight loss.  I guess everyone's body and metabolism (and luck) is different.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jason W.
on 6/20/12 1:48 am - Canada
You're right Karen there will be those that are the exceptions to the rule. But why take the chance?
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Karen M.
on 6/20/12 1:57 am - Mississauga, Canada
Completely agree and power to everyone who is so dedicated - I wish I was.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sam1am
on 6/20/12 2:11 am
While I agree, that exercising (more than just walking), is what we should be doing (both before and after surgery), I am like Karen.  Lazy.  I am however maintaining (with 15 lbs) for almost 3 years and I am (just) walking pretty regularly (like I did pre op).  I really went into this trying to live a normal life (for me) and that's what I have done.  I do applaud those of you who manage to turn into athletes or even regular exercisers, but its not for everyone. 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Tates
on 6/20/12 3:24 am - Canada
 I agree, the surgery is one of the tools to lose the weight, healthy diet and exercise are some of the oter ones to maintain the loss.
Monica M.
on 6/20/12 4:27 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Preach away, Reverend Jason!!

People can not hear this enough. You HAVE to exercise. There are no ifs ands or buts about it.

A friend of mine had RNY 11 yrs ago, did not exercise, relied on her dumping to keep her away from stuff. She was able to wean her way back to alcohol and inappropriate foods, and now she's over 200lbs again.

We must learn from those who have gone before us. The surgery does not work ...     on its own. We have a personal responsibility to make it work for us.

Blu-Diva
on 6/21/12 9:20 am - Hamilton, Canada
 So true and really scary 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

birdiegirl
on 6/21/12 10:16 am

Jason I appreciate your enthusiasm - however, I will disagree with your statement that:

If your at 6 weeks out and have not started something other than walking......time to wake up !!! Unless you have medical issues that keep you from doing so.

Walking is just great....and if you can keep that up and do it for the rest of your life...perfect.....You don't have to knock yourself out....what you do need is something that you will do with regularity...that you enjoy enough to ensure you incorporate it into your life

If you also lift weights...fantastic....you will then have anabolic as well as aerobic exercise....

Don't ever knock someone who "just"walks....

If you can do more....do it.....but what is really important is finding something that you can afford, enjoy and incorporate into your new life

Most Active
Recent Topics