After surgery - opinions re: time before driving long distance and out of country?

Susan_T
on 6/20/12 6:04 am - Ottawa, Canada
I’m wondering how soon after surgery you would have felt reasonably comfortable driving for 7 hours in one day and then being out of the country (in Maine) for 6 days. I’m trying to determine whether 3 - 4 weeks post-op would be “pushing it" (assuming all goes well with the surgery).   Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I appreciate it!

Susan
Bonnie ABC
on 6/20/12 6:14 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Four hours home three days after my surgery.   I drove to Toronto and back about 3 weeks later, so 8 hours, and I did fine. 
Enjoy your vacation. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
debralight
on 6/20/12 6:44 am - Canada
A word of advice. Make sure you've checked how having had recent surgery will affect your out of country medical  insurance coverage.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Bonnie ABC
on 6/20/12 8:05 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Very good thought.   My surgery was in the US, and covered by OHIP, so they looked after me to and from.   

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
truckingbride
on 6/20/12 8:29 am - Harriston , Canada
my 1st and foremost thought was DVT.. talk to your surgeon or family md about your risk of clots and prolonged sitting after surgery, make you at much higher risk of forming clots in your legs and almost anywhere else for that matter. especially since your BMI will still be high 3 weeks out.,
Susan_T
on 6/20/12 10:38 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thank you for your thoughts and input! I appreciate it!
ruth63
on 6/20/12 9:56 pm - aurora, Canada
My first question is do you have to go so soon ?  The reason I ask that is that it really is a huge adjustment in eating and only after 1 month, its really challenging to keep to the very careful way of eating and especially very slow eating . If you mess up you will not be feeling well at all.  I personally had many challenges in eating slowly and that was in a controlled environment.  It's really hard in the beginning to be around everyone eating normally and eating out,  I found. Also I found wearing a normal bra was uncomfortable as I think most of us are still so what swollen and stitches still sore, so I don;t know how it will feel bend over sitting so long. I can now say since its 4 months that I would do that type of trip. 
Having said all this, each of us are so different so my experience could be so different from you.
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/12 1:17 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 04/24/12
I waited until I had my 6 week post-op appointment with my surgeon before I traveled out of the country, I just got back from being in NY for a week and even though I was nervous at first, I had a great time. I think its more about the individual person and how you feel, if you think you are ready just check in with your Dr, clinic or both, make sure you plan your trip well so you know what you are eating and when, make sure to pack all meds and protein, get some good travel insurance and ENJOY your trip 
Susan_T
on 6/21/12 11:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your responses. I will meet the surgeon on July 4th. As anxious as I am to have the surgery done, I've decided not have it until after this trip at the end of August (hopefully that will be okay with the WLC). I've waited this long... I can live with a few weeks or so more (assuming i would have been scheduled for end of July/beginning of August). But you know how people say, "if you want the bus to come, light up a cigarette?"... I don't smoke but that's how I feel. I just recently agreed to these plans thinking I wouldn't get a call until the fall and now I'm scheduled for an education class next week and to meet the surgeon the following week...I'm grateful to be able to see the end/beginning in sight though!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics