Financial costs of Bariatric Surgery

DebColCam
on 6/19/12 2:24 pm - Canada
I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the time to calculate the cost of going through the process of appointments and their first 3-12 months post op? I am not working and my husband works in retail so our finances are already stretched to the limit. I am concerned that we won't be able to handle the expenses. If any of you have done the calculations or have gone through the process under similar cir****tances, I would love to hear how you managed. Thanks

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

cayleighsmom
on 6/19/12 7:59 pm
RNY on 06/05/12
i am two weeks post op, and so far i have about $1000.oo into the process. however, i live 3.5 hours from hospitol, so keep in my mind my gas expense is higher than htose livng near there center.  Becasue of my distance, my surgeon required me to stay in toronto for an additional 3 days after realeas, so i had additional hotel costs.  If you don't have a beenfit plan, the costs could be a bit higher depending what you need, prevcaid is about $80.00 a month, i was prescibed this for 6 months.

i have to head back to toronto for my 1 month follow up, there that will probably cost a couple of hundred by the time i pay for parking at 2 hosptiols.  ( iwill see the surgeon wheere he operates, and then the nurse and diettican at Humber later taht day) gas, and proably a hotle as my apointment is early in hte morning.

opti is not covered, so depending how long you ned to have that for.  it's about $100, per week.

It ceratinly is a little more expensive than i first anticipated, but form my referral, i started saving a little money.   i used hot wire to book hotel, plus i was very lucky to be able to connect with someone who wortks for a hotel chain, and she gave me a link for a discount for my big hotel stay.  this probably saved me about $ 500.

good luck with the process,
barbie
avivaps
on 6/19/12 8:01 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 I didn't do the calculation but can give u some numbers/thought as a guide. I'm sure others will post more details. 
$100-wk for pre-op optifast (usually need 2-4wks depending on your pre-op weight)
Post op meds - blood thinner, acid suppressor, pain meds (can't remember exact fighter maybe some else recalls. )
Parking (at Humber worked out to $15/visit.)
Time off work for you or support person
Food - variable but protein shakes can be a bit pricy. I figured I was eating so much less and not eating out so that probably balanced out
Vitamins - if you shop around can get generics for most but guessing about $30/mth
Clothes! You will quickly slip out of your old sizes :) if you are like many, you will already have a closet of different sizes so that may carry you for a while. Then thrift shops, hand-me-downs and clothing exchanges at support groups may minimize this expense. 
If you live out of town from your hospital there will also be travel expenses and the cost of hotel to stay over for the week of surgery. 

Thats all I can think of at present. Hope others pitch in. 

Good luck. 

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

ruth63
on 6/19/12 9:06 pm - aurora, Canada
Think about the junk food you ate and eating out.  When you stop doing that I personally think we all our up .  Even you go go out to eat, your meal is usually atleast two meals and you take home atleast half or more.

Think of what your grocery bill is currently and what it will be after
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/12 9:42 pm - Guelph, Canada
 the cost will vary so much from person to person. 

how many weeks of opti will you need 2?-3?-4?

will you need blood thinners post op at home? I didnt but some do

will you need a cpap? some do

and for post op... not everyone is on the same post op vits.. that will again depend on you and your medical team. 

there is the cost of clothing post op -personally I am finding that is the greatest expense I have (or will be) facing

there is the cost of the travel to the clinic if you dont live close. 

As someone mentioned think about the dollars spent on crap food and all the money you will save not buying that anymore and the good foods you will be eating post op and in such a small amount that my grocery bill had already shrunk and I am onmy 2 weeks post op

the best people to ask will be your clinic. They have your file they can give you a good guess. They know what vits they want you to take post op and how many visits you are expected to have. parking could even be a factor.. at Guelph the parking is $8.. at some Toronto hospitals its $16 
Feralgirl
on 6/20/12 12:14 am, edited 6/20/12 12:14 am - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
$250  - optifast
$379 - Injections, Codiene, Prevacid edit - could be less, submitted forms to hubby's coverage, so we'll see
$30 - Protein (Premier) for post-op
$10 - Liquid Cal. Citrate/Vitamin D
$20 - Chewable multivitamins
$30 - total parking costs off hospital lots ;p

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

DebColCam
on 6/20/12 12:33 am - Canada
Thanks for your replys the specific costs of things very helpful. Currently not having issues with crap food or eating out. Been working on WL for a year and down 44 lbs. Just trying to weigh all the pros and cons for me. As I try to make a WLS decision. There is alot to consider!

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

Karen M.
on 6/20/12 12:42 am - Mississauga, Canada
You're so right - there is a LOT to consider before making a decision. Financial implications are very relevant. Congratulations to you for losing 44 lbs!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

DarrenM
on 6/20/12 12:44 am - Kincardine, Canada
I know everyone is different but i didnt really think of the "cost" of things. As ruth said above the cost of junk food etc. that i dont eat now have evened out/offset the cost of going to appointments and opti-fast...Think of the health benefits and prolonged lifespan instead of the costs now! Just my opinion/thoughts....

Highest=420lb  pre opti=382lb pre-op=360                        
Heidi S.
on 6/20/12 12:46 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Everyone gave excellent responses. If you have to fly in for your appointments and Porter Airline is available watch for their 50% off sales. Also, keep reminding your center how far you have to travel and they will schedule appointments on the same day, (at least 2 or 3). Good Luck with your journey.

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active
Recent Topics