: - ( FEAR

DebColCam
on 6/24/12 4:09 am - Canada
I am Pre-op and a talk myself in & out if this procedure multiple times a day. Starting to make myself crazy! I know that it is all fear based. The unknown causes me a lot of anxiety. I am terrified of post op illness, complications and infections. With reason as I just had a minor procedure landed me with a 3 month long wound infection. I've made pros and cons list. And the pros a slightly out weighing the cons. Waiting... for my orientation hope to have more peace around making the WLS surgery decision after it. Did any of you struggle with this kind of indecisiveness around your decision to have the procedure? How did you handle it? Did any of you struggle with post op complications and care to share those experiences/challenges? This forum is a great place to share and learn!

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

TBIYTC
on 6/24/12 6:22 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I basically had no doubt about the surgery - but I was much larger than you.  I had and have no complications.  I just wish you luck with your decisions.

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

DebColCam
on 6/24/12 7:36 am - Canada
Thanks for your reply it's a tough spot for me to be in. I don't feel like I share the same amount of excitement as other newbies or Pre ops. I guess I am just I'm full of doubt even after reading books and doing hours/days/months of research. I am feeling a but alone because of the lack if excitement and doubt.

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

Blu-Diva
on 6/24/12 11:45 am - Hamilton, Canada
 It took a year for me to come to the decision, but I'm almost 2mths out and no complications.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Leslie W.
on 6/24/12 12:06 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Having fears is normal. WLS is life changing. For me it has been the best thing ever! With the weight loss, I now have no more sleep apnea, high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Pain in my legs is gone.
The increased energy level is amazing. Go to the gym 3-4 times per week. Before surgery never would have had the nerve to go to a gym.
I have joined a WLS support group and have met a beautiful group of people and am enjoying a social life,
I am not sure where you live but have you thought of joining a support group? I found that meeting up with others who have had WLS a great support and it helped me see that there is normalcy post op.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
avivaps
on 6/24/12 12:08 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 I thought about surgery for a long time and when I finally started the orientation process I couldn't wait for my surgery date. When I was two weeks per-op nerves suddenly set in. I started to have so many doubts and what ifs. I obsessed about complications and worst case scenarios. I am now just about four months post op. everything went smoothly and I have had no complications or problems.  I am down 70lbs and feel absolutely fantastic. 

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Starr_Fish
on 6/24/12 12:51 pm

I have to say thank you for posting this message.  You have said just about everything that is passing through my mind.  I am waiting form my orientation and I'm having alot of the same thoughts and concerns that you have.  Its so nice to see that there are plenty of people on this site that are there for support for people like us.  Thanks to the supporters too.

mona8
on 6/24/12 1:25 pm - Kingston, Canada
I.m almost a year into the wait ( referred last August, orientation in November '11 ), and still have the same flips and flops.....all fear based.  I am absolutely terrified of potential post op complications as well as absloute diabetic complications that I will face if I don't have WLS.  I think this is part of what makes the wait so difficult, the anxiety about surgery!
denise_norman
on 6/24/12 9:30 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
 I think everything you are experiencing is normal. I am just shy of four months post op and I would not change a thing. I was very nervous about having surgery because of the unknown and the fact that two people actually passed away from complications afterwards. My husband also didn't agree with the surgery. However he did support my decision to go ahead with it. Also because I had failed at so many other diets there is always the fear that this won't be successful either.
 But remember that just because you go through all the appointments if you still are indecisive you can always postpone the surgery. 
I never really had any complications. I felt like a Mac truck had run me over for awhile but otherwise I was good. Pain medication was my savior for a few days when I got home. I have strained my stomach muscles but that is my own fault. I still eat a little too fast but I am working on that. I can pretty much eat everything so far that I have tried except pork. 
The only thing I can say is do your research and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. No question is a stupid question on here. Everyone is very supportive and like an extended family. You can also attend a WLS support group in your area and talk to others that are in your same situation or have been in your situation. 
I wish you the best of luck on your new journey. I hope everything works out for you. Hopefully I have answered some of your questions. 
Denise

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics