hair loss

Kiley39
on 6/24/12 3:28 pm - Port Colborne, Canada
i need some advice from some post op folks.  I am 8 months post-op and have lost 120lbs from my vsg surgery.  i am starting to notice some significant hair loss.  how long does this normally last and other than getting my protein in what else can i do to minimize it?
1st referal sent  April 15, 2010  ( it was lost)                 Internist August 11, 2011
2nd referal sent October 24, 2010                               Surgeon meeting Aug18, 2011
info session at St. Joes in Hamilton March 21, 2011   Surgery class Sept 1, 2011
Nurse, dietician, SW appointments June 22, 2011      Pre op October 5,2011
Scope July 15, 2011                                                   Surgery October 12, 2011

JJ_
on 6/24/12 8:39 pm
Hi Kiley,

I had responded to someone else`s post recently about hte importance of protein.  It is taken directly from the Bariatric Handbook that we receive from the Ottawa WMC.  The italicized portion is the most important part relating to your hair.

From page 18 of the Ottawa handout - Your Meal Planner After Bariatric Surgery:

' Why do I need a protein supplement after surgery?

- Protein is needed to help your body heal after surgery.

- As you lose weight, your body will stop making protein because you can only eat very small amounts. This means your body will start using stored protein (muscles, hair, nails) if you do not consume enough protein to slow down the turn-over loss.

- Symptoms of not enough protein: tired and/or weakness, muscle loss, hair hoss, weight plateau and hunger.

- For the first few weeks after surgery you will be eating very small amounts of pureed and soft foods. You will need to add a protein supplement to help you get enough quality protein to help you recover.

- Protein supplements can be taken as a liquid that you drink. They can also be added as a powder to soft or pureed foods.'

What to look for:

- Protein powder or liquid made from Whey Protein Isolate or Soy Protein Isolate.

- At least 20-30 grams protein per 250 m. serving (or 1 scoop).

- Less than 6 grams of sugar and less than 3 grams of fat per 250 ml serving.

- You may want to choose Lactose Free.

Remember - Women need 60-90 grams of protein per day.

- Men need 70-120 grams of protein per day

- Talk to your bariatric dietitian for your specific needs.

Other than ensuring adequate protein intake, then no there is nothing you can do.  I started losing hair around month 3.  Month 4 it seemed to be just falling off my head.  Month 5 was like month 3.  Now, it has definitely slowed down and is more like normal hair loss.

Biotin as a supplement helps with NEW hair growth.  There is nothing but protein that actually stops the loss.

Judy
Monica M.
on 6/24/12 9:07 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
you can't minimize it now, its reacting to the trauma of the surgery and resulting change in your body. All you can do is promote regrowth.

PatXYZ
on 6/24/12 11:37 pm
 Monica is exactly right, there isn't much you can do because the amount of hair you lose is pretty much set at the time you have surgery from the surgical trauma to your body. You can make sure to get at least 80g of protein and adequate B vitamins to support new growth. The only other thing that might be going on is really high OR really low zinc can also cause hair loss. I discovered in my pre-op blood work that I was slightly low and it was easy to correct with a supplement in just a few weeks. Remember that it will come back. Try to think of this as an opportunity to try something new with your hair, maybe a new cut or a color? Good luck.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Kiley39
on 6/24/12 11:48 pm - Port Colborne, Canada
thanks ladies.  i kinda thought that was the case but i am getting my protein and all my vitamins so i guess i will have to live with it.  i have so much hair only my hairdresser and i can really tell
1st referal sent  April 15, 2010  ( it was lost)                 Internist August 11, 2011
2nd referal sent October 24, 2010                               Surgeon meeting Aug18, 2011
info session at St. Joes in Hamilton March 21, 2011   Surgery class Sept 1, 2011
Nurse, dietician, SW appointments June 22, 2011      Pre op October 5,2011
Scope July 15, 2011                                                   Surgery October 12, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics