aquafit!

rosie1985
on 6/25/12 1:54 am - Canada
hey guys!!!

just wondering how long after surgery you can start working out and doing aquafit classes!!!
and ALSO....please if anyone can give me a list of things they bought priod to surgery to have for after surgery would be a great help!!!

don't know what to expect but having surgery on Friday at 8am!

Rosie
Laurie C.
on 6/25/12 1:56 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I was told 1 month before Aquafit and I'm patiently waiting, but I walked 2 km this morning.

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

mermaidoz
on 6/25/12 2:42 am - Canada
I had to wait almost 9 weeks beacuse one of my surgery ports would not heal as fast as the others...Until they are all healed (scabbed over, and the scabs falls off...no open wounds in pool). And be careful not to dammage  your innards with too much vigorous exercise, so other than walking or other gentle exercises such as leg lifts hanging onto chair back.... no aerobics or jumping until 12 weeks out as it takes that long for your inner sutures to heal. Those were my instructions, but everyone seems to get different advice from their surgery centres, so follow your instructions.

Re what to buy prior to surgery, well lots small containers and zip lock bags to put your pureed and soft foods in minuscule portions according to your eating plan.  Dont use commercial babyfoods as they tend to have too much sugar.  I bought flats of water as always had a bottle in my hand wherever I went outside home...sip sip sip ( the 500 ml bottles let me keep track of how many I was really getting down in a day, early on could not do more than 3 a day so I knew I had to step up to yet another bottle)

Lots of hydration lotions and ceams as I noticed my skin went very dry until I was able to get in 6 bottles of water a day.

- a stock of your vits and supplements so you don't have to go out and search for them in stores soon after surgery
- whey protein powder for your protein shakes whizzed up in a mini blender  as you need to get protein into you and drinking it is easier.

For the hospital:  I brought ear plugs and a sleeping mask, as all you really do is sleep a lot those frst 2 days post surgery and hospitasl are noisy places and your room-mate may be noisy as well, or their visitors might be...secure slippers fitting your feet well, as you will up and walking almost as soon as you are awake hauling your IV pole around with you and you don't want to trip on loose slippers...Use their hospital gowns, and another one as a "bathrobe" and you will be okay.  For going home:  wear something lose around the waist as your 5-6 entry ports will be sensitive so no tight clothing.

Others will chime in with more suggestions based on their experiences....

Good luck, you will be just fine! The first week after surgery is the hardest as you are still weak, just like with any surgery, but it improves from there...

ruth63
on 6/25/12 5:42 am - aurora, Canada
If you can afford it and belong to Costco the premade protein drink is great.
If you have a house coat and unbuttons all the way down, its nice to have, you have an IV pole so it must be able to open completely.
All the other suggestions were great.
I found that doing as much walking as you can, really helps to pass gas which is really important. Also the faster you can get off the pain medicine the better as it also effects passing gas. I really didn;t like the effects the heavy drugs had on me, made my skin very itchy.  I found that the second day, I walked most of the day, and night, not very quiet, but I think it really helped me get better fast.  I am guess since you asked about aqua fit, that you are an active person.

Good luck friday.You are on your way to a new life.
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/12 7:15 am - Toronto, ON
 Hey
Im out of HRRH and my surgeon said 3 months before being able to swim or do aquafit. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/12 10:55 am, edited 6/24/12 10:58 pm - Guelph, Canada
I was walking 2 kms a day from 4 days post op... thats walking my daughter to her bus stop in the morning and then home again... and picking her up from the bus in the afternoon.

I was told no water activities will my incisions are healed and not scabbed bit they stressed taking it easy.. like the slow moving class

I bought jello and clear broths.. some cream soups for groceries

I brought baby wipes for the first post op poop (its kinda black) I made sure I had my phone charger. I had lotion for my hands and legs. I had shampoo and conditioner and tooth brush in my little travel bag.

To be honest I I walked a LOT while in hospital with my trusty IV (I named him charlie) and once Charlie left me I had my water bottle. I watched a little TV in the patient lounge.
Most Active
Recent Topics