Does Humber have private rooms??

the44plan
on 7/5/12 9:47 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12

Last week I had my pre-op and told them that I had semi-private insurance coverage..  Just found out today that I actually have private coverage.   Do you think its worth calling the hospital to change my records.. or dont bother because they dont have private rooms anyway..  :)  thanks.

Referral: Oct 2011   Surgery Date: HRRH July 13th (Friday) 2012        
Tammie

Kerigan
on 7/5/12 10:13 am
 they do have a few private rooms :) I can't remember how many, but they do have them. I was in a semi-private room.. the first night there was another lady in the room, but the second night I had the whole room to myself.. definitely a lot nicer!
the44plan
on 7/5/12 11:18 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
Great.., thanks for that. I will call them tomorrow to update my file..  I wasnt too worried about it.. but if my insurance covers it then I guess I should use it.. :)  Its not everyday that I get to stay in a hospital.. lol
Tammie

sugarcube
on 7/5/12 11:42 am - Canada
 Hiya! Ya there is private....just had my surgery last week. But I have coverage for both too but they said most privates are used for the patients on contact precautions. So I had to settle for a semi but only had a roommate for one day. Best of luck!
thenewbre
on 7/6/12 1:16 am
Check what your coverage is....Humber charges 250/night for semi (not sure about private) and when I was done, turned out my insurance only covered 120/night, and I was left holding the bag for the rest. I talked to a girl in a "ward" and she ended up with only 1 other person the whole time she was there, and paid nothing...got the same as me and it cost me 250!

the44plan
on 7/5/12 11:45 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12

Thanks Sugar!!

Tammie

avivaps
on 7/5/12 8:43 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 They told me the same thing they told sugarcube and so I was stuck with semi private and an old lady who was demented and incontinent :( The only positive was that I didn't have to share the washroom as she was bedbound. 

Also double check that your insurance rates and the hospitals are similar. Despite the fact that I had PRIVATE coverage and stayed SEMI PRIVATE, I STILL had to fork out money. Apparently the private coverage rates my insurance coverage uses are years old. Meaning the hospital has since raised rates significantly but the insurance coverage doesnt reflect this. Hopefully this will avoid any unpleasant surprises. 

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

ruth63
on 7/5/12 10:25 pm - aurora, Canada
You have nothing to lose by trying but very few as was said.  If you end up in a semi, bring ear plugs. I was in a room with a women with a bi-pap machine,. so did;t sleep one minute and then there was the lady down the hall with dementia who screamed all night.  So what I did was walk the halls which really helps get off the meds fast and helps you pass gas. I really think it aided in my fast recovery.   Also fun to watch what happens in a hospital overnigh****ched one nurse sleep her whole shift.
Hope your time is quieter than mine, but the good thing you are only there for two nights and the first they give you good pain medication so you really don;t think much and are very happy.
Tell your family to get a $45.00, 15 times parking pass, so much cheaper than the 15.00 it usually costs for one visit. You get it at the parking booth in the parking lot. You will have lots of follow up appointments and will really save. We also have a good support group that meets last wed. in the month at 6.00 if you live close by.

Good luck.
Catw
on 7/5/12 10:36 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Before you call, you may want to check your coverage.  I have coverage for a private room, but only up to about 80% then I have to pay the rest myself.  But I chose a semi and didn't get charged as it was covered completely.

I chose a semi, because I wanted company, and it ended up I did get a good room mate.  I had had problems once before in a hospital, where one of the nurses I had been assigned to (not the same one each shift) was basically occupied with some project (why she was assigned patients that day, who knows) and I saw her before and after her shift..  So I wanted someone to talk to in the room.  Didn't want to feel like I was forgotten in a private room.  But for the RNY, my nurses were excellent.

Good luck!
Cathy

ShallowGirl
on 7/10/12 11:23 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 I was in a 4 person room, but only 3 people were there, and I liked having people to talk to.  One was post op one more day than me, and her friend (also a post op one more day than me) came into the room to visit her, so it was quite good.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics