Pre-op diets?

DebColCam
on 7/9/12 1:07 am - Canada
I have been trying to make some changes. Working on the no pop and decreasing caffiene. I am thinking about going low carb now. Did any of you do this Pre-op? Thinking it's a way to start with the protien first and giving up the breads and pastas. Any feed back would be helpful!

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/9/12 1:19 am - Windsor, Canada
 Don't take out good carbs.  Whole grains, fruits etc are not the bad carbs.  Just limit the carbs   It's the processed junk in the middle of the supermarket that is the problem.  Focus on protein- that's great :-) 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

gardeninggal
on 7/9/12 3:43 am - Midland, Canada
 Good for you Deb!  I am doing the same thing although I must say I have only one cup of coffee in the a.m. and maybe  one or two diet soda a day so that part has not been difficult to implement.  I had a follow-up call from the dietician and she said the same as Dawn that not all carbs are bad.  So it is healthy eating and healthy choices all the way...sounds so easy but there is a real incentive this time as we prepare for this surgery there are going to be long lasting results instead of another failed attempt at a 'diet'.  That is how I am looking at it anyway.  Best of luck to you.

pedlsanCAN
on 7/9/12 5:54 am - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 09/04/12
Hi Deb!

When I went to orientation at Guelph, one of the things the dietician said really hit me.  She said, "We do surgery on your stomach, not your mind, so if you are having issues around making healthy choices before surgery, you still will after."  I really thought about that a lot.  I've always "known" what I should do ... I just haven't always done it in past. 

Even though I felt the wait at Guelph was excessive, looking back I realize it did allow me to gain some insight into the true nature of my "issues" with eating.  (Boredom, habit, stress, treating myself etc)  I've tried to slowly change how I do things.  I've completely given up all pop with good success(had to do that one cold turkey), drastically reduced fast food, chips, Tims etc, got off caffeine, upped my water and my walking from never to daily (for the most part).  I never realized how "addicted" I am to bad carbs - chips, crackers, sugarly treats and I continue to work on these choices everyday.  It hasn't been easy but it's what I'm in for ... for the rest of my life!  "Giving up" breads and pastas suggests an all-or-nothing approach which I used to follow that inevitably ended in ME "giving up" and going back to these favourites with abandon.  I've found greater success with moderation and healthy choices ...  new concepts for me!

You can't help but benefit from examining your eating habits and choices before surgery.  Success will come from knowing your issues, rather than any particular number loss prior to surgery. 

Best wishes!
Sandy P.

cheeky_monkey
on 7/9/12 10:10 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
Here is what I'm doing pre-op.

Eat breakfast
No caffeinated coffee/tea
No carbonated drinks
Add more protein
No chocolate
Less 'beige'  like breads, pasta etc, replace with whole grains (good carbs)
Water, water, water
Sugar free Popsicles for me (so I don't eat the kids treats)
Sugar free drinks

My evil is Smart Popcorn but I have really cut down on that one   ...really I have!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics