Weight loss surgery and leukemia

cheeky_monkey
on 7/8/12 1:47 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada
I'm wondering if there is a connection between having the gastic bypass surgery and then contracting leukemia later on.  Has anyone heard of this?
Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/8/12 2:49 pm, edited 7/8/12 2:59 pm - Windsor, Canada
 There are no links to these two things as far as I know.  In fact, when you are morbidly obese your chance of many types of cancers can be 2x more likely than normal weight people.  I found a great site on this.  I'd I can find I'll post. 

Dawn

This one is British but you can get the drift 
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/causes/lifestyle/bodyweight/bodyweight-and-risk-of-cancer-in-the-uk

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

cheeky_monkey
on 7/8/12 11:58 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada
 Thanks for the link Dawn!!  
Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Monica M.
on 7/8/12 8:41 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i've never heard of a link between the two. If you look hard enough, you can find a link between any two unrelated things, tho.

Chanelle1022
on 7/8/12 10:38 pm
Well that's scary...

My dad died at 47 of testicular/bone/liver/stomach cancer.... here I thought my chances were way higher due to my obesity (  this is one of my many motivators to have RNY) but now this?

Cripes I hope that's just a fluke and it is not really related...

but I also agree with, if you look hard enough anything two things can be linked....

sheesh.
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/8/12 11:02 pm, edited 7/8/12 11:04 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Don't assume anything by this persons post.   Often when people get something post op and it so happens that they end up getting something else, people make Assumptions that one causes the other.  It's the same logic that if I were to get hit by a car while eating ice cream, that ice cream causes you to get hit by a car.   

The poster has no link.  She has no information, why are you in a panic over something she does t know anything about?   Look at the statistics in the link I put above.  They are statistics, not speculation. 

Even if you were to find a correlation (which I doubt), it doesn't mean causation. As well, being morbidly obese for a long time often means that there has been damage to our bodies.  Sometimes things don't reveal themselves for many years.  We all could have issues lurking in our bodies that we don't know about, that are not revealed until after surgery and were caused more by the fact that we were MO, not because of our WLS.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Monica M.
on 7/8/12 11:07 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
well said, Dawn.

DebColCam
on 7/9/12 12:45 am - Canada
Ty for your words Dawn! I am still mega anxious about WLS. And some posts scare the heck out of me!
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/9/12 1:32 am - Windsor, Canada
 You are most welcome. I hate it when rumors spread.  You can find a lot of crap the internet and there is always a lot of misinformation and hyperbole when it comes to wls.

Dawn

Chanelle1022
on 7/8/12 11:06 pm
Sorry, did not meant to come off panicked...

it just hit close to home for me for a few mins...

thanks for the link :)
Most Active
Recent Topics