What's your secret?

nata
on 7/12/12 6:22 am, edited 7/11/12 6:32 pm - Ottawa, Canada
A question to those postops who consider themselves a wls success:

In one phrase, what's the key to your success?

mine - daily weigh-ins. The moment I cross the "red line" (weigh too much) my paranoia kicks in and I subconsciously limit food intake\treats\snacks, etc.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
birdiegirl
on 7/12/12 6:54 am

Focus - plan - execute

Jennie M.
on 7/12/12 9:20 am - Ottawa, Canada
Journal - food & more. And I have realized that unless I want to diet/restrict for life, I need to move every day. 30 min will do it but I have to be active or never enjoy any lee way on my eating and that's no fun. Like to enjoy so I make sure I walk, run, swim, something every day.

Urban Poling Instructor, 5K runner & soon to be CanFit Pro Personal Trainer
HW339/Lowest Wt 175/CW210/GW175  Plastics done (TT & BR) 8/31/10

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/12/12 10:25 pm
"And I have realized that unless I want to diet/restrict for life, I need to move every day. 30 min will do it but I have to be active or never enjoy any lee way on my eating and that's no fun"

I'm only now starting to really get this. I've never been one for exercise.
I start, go all out and in a couple of weeks I stop.

I have kept my weight down by tracking my food intake.
Now though I find I want to eat more and different things so I will have to incorporate planned exercise.
Still trying to find the balance!

nata
on 7/12/12 10:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for responses ladies!
Guess, there aren't that many vets on the board anymore
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Patti K.
on 7/12/12 10:59 am - Kingston On, Canada
Nata...I guess for me its following my clinics rules...I don't own scales (wasn't going to go there this time), keeping up with my yearly appt's,, and knowing my limits....Patti K.

Derek C.
on 7/12/12 12:32 pm - North Bay , Canada
 my secret is never look back, I was given a tool to help me lead a new life...I'm gonna use it everyday tonthe best of my ability...no worries about scales, numbers or anything...

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

ima_totalgeek
on 7/12/12 9:49 pm
More than one prhase: 
take every chance I can to be active (stairs, walk, swim)
daily weigh-in
no junk food during office hours :)
ToNewBeginnings
on 7/12/12 10:16 pm, edited 7/12/12 10:16 pm
Good post.

I have been successful but I will probably consider myself a success if I keep this weight off for another year or two.

WOW, I can't believe I wrote that. Screw that . How about WHEN I keep this weight off!

Which leads me to my keys:

1. The fear of Regain
I can't go back. I just can't

2. "Weigh in Day" -Every Monday 6 am
Once a week only.

3. Having a five pound limit.
I'm happy at 160 lbs. When I get near 165 I cut back on my intake and/or increase my exercise.

4. Continually trying to find balance and control between eating like a normal healthy weight person and somone who has an eating issues with food.
What I mean is I would like to be a person who eats healthy, sometimes had treats but who doesn't obsess and record everything she consumes.

5. Continuing to come to this site for advice, motivation and inspiration.

kellybelly333
on 7/12/12 10:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
I don't consider myself a vet yet, but I do know that it is getting harder and harder to keep the weight off. I have to keep a balance of making sure I get the protein in, and exercise. I'm amazed at how I can't go under 134 pounds. I'm at a healthy weight, but I keep wanting to get another 5 pounds off, so I have that cushion....fearing the 10 pound regain that everyone gets after they get to their lowest!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics