OT: Waxing?

Penny85
on 7/15/12 8:24 pm - Guelph, Canada
 I've never gone to get waxing done, because I've always been too embarassed by my size.  Now that I'm more active and have been hating the constant razor burn I get, I want to try waxing.  I've tried the at home ones but they never really worked.

My question is: with the loose skin, does it hurt more to get waxed?  I know they need to pull the skin tight to get the wax off, I'm just worried that it will hurt a lot!
Anyone had/have any experience with this that could give me pointers? Also, anyone in Guelph or area who could make a suggestion on where to go that is big girl friendly?

Pre-opti-  289 lbs    Surgery-  283.8 lbs    Current-  209 lbs    Surgeons Goal-  180    My Goal-  150 lbs

Referral sent - June 2010          Surgery date - December 14, 2011       Referral to surgery - 18 months

on_my_way2011
on 7/15/12 10:24 pm - Canada
I have been getting my legs and underarms waxed for a couple of years.  I highly recommend it, but it takes some dedication because you have to go a lot in the beginning, but over time your hair thins out.  Now I only go about once every five or six weeks in the summer and every three months or so in the winter.

I was worried about the loose skin too, and it does make things a little more challenging for the lady who does my waxing.  I don't find it any more painful with the loose skin, but I might have found it uncomfortable (in the embarassment sense) if it wasn't for the fact that I am incredibly comfortable with my waxer (I have no idea what to call her...I always just call her Katie!).  I was honest with her about my surgery and she has been there to watch my body transformation.

I would recommend going in to have a chat with someone before diving in for a wax.  Tell them about your surgery and even show them some of the loose skin to see if they are comfortable with waxing you.

Also, your first time will be painful regardless...but the hair gets so thin over time I can literally pull hairs out with my fingers now, so there is almost no pain involved any more. 

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Tanya T.
on 7/15/12 10:29 pm, edited 7/15/12 10:30 pm
I don't waxed but get sugared, same concept as waxing but apparently gentler on the skin. I have loose skin but it doesn't hurt anymore than prior to surgery as you said she just pulls it tightly. The woman who does mine always suggests that I take Tylenol before I go but I usually don't and I am fine.
I can't suggest anyone for you I live in the Niagara Region.
Good Luck!!

Tanya

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 12:42 am - Guelph, Canada
 there is a great place in the quebec street mall... http://www.salonbutterfly.com/   
\
I have used them a few times till I learned how to shave and not get razor burns.. (NEW razor every time and not a budget brand) I have my Intuition razor for my legs and pits cause they dont get razor burns but for bikini area who burns like mad I use a brand new disposable mid rage for quality razor every time and good shaving cream. and never have a problem.. I use aloe when I am done in the shower. If I have neglected the bikini for a little while and the hair is longer I will use veet hair removal cream and only let it sit for 5 minutes and wa**** off in the shower and then when I need to clean things in in a few days I will use a razor. 
Karen M.
on 7/16/12 12:44 am - Mississauga, Canada
Wait... whoa... Veet has a bikini area product??

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/12 12:50 am - Guelph, Canada
Karen M.
on 7/16/12 12:56 am - Mississauga, Canada
Well I'll be damned.  Off to Shopper's I go. lol

Karen

Penny85
on 7/16/12 3:29 am - Guelph, Canada
 Thanks for the tip about the Veet! I've tried Nair in the past and had a very bad reaction in the bikini area that left me feeling like I was on fire for a few days.  I'll have to check it out.

Pre-opti-  289 lbs    Surgery-  283.8 lbs    Current-  209 lbs    Surgeons Goal-  180    My Goal-  150 lbs

Referral sent - June 2010          Surgery date - December 14, 2011       Referral to surgery - 18 months

birdiegirl
on 7/16/12 4:07 am
Are you going to give yourself a "Telly Savales?"

Karen M.
on 7/16/12 4:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
HAAAAA!

Well, yes.  Just not where he is bald. LOL!

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics