WHO gets denied and WHY??

starry957
on 7/18/12 10:06 am
Hi all - I am just completing my patient questionnaire for Humber River and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about what NOT to say/ what to say, etc....I'm trying to be as completely honest as I can, but are there sections I need to be more "careful" about how I answer?? 
Anyone have any experience with this one way or the other?

Thanks so much - I go on Monday.....getting more nervous as I go along here....lol

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/12 10:15 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Im not sure what to tell you but I wanted to wish you well on your journey.
starry957
on 7/18/12 10:16 am
thanks Debra!  You too!

BluIzGal
on 7/18/12 10:18 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12
I would answer everything truthfully as you can. If you don't, you can put your physical health in jeopardy.
Hanneli xoxo
on 7/18/12 10:51 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
I would truthfuly be honest and write the truth wether you feel it will help OR hinder your progress. If it is something you feel would hinder it it is good to deal with it during this process and get help for it.

I know for me, I would 100% NOT want to hide anything because I want to do this as healthy as possible.

I thought about not telling them about my tummy pains I always have in case I had something wrong with me that would prevent approval but then I thught, if I DO have something terrbly wrong with my stomach why on Gods green earth would I put myself through this process only to end up sick and unhealthy afterwards? (turns out if may be a hiatus hernia that can be fixed during surgery)

so PLEASE for your own well being be as honest as possible. If you have physical problems they need to be dealt with. If you have mental health issues those need to be stabilized beforehand. If you have anything else, tell them!

sorry if that sounded harsh!

starry957
on 7/18/12 11:25 am
thanks guys - no - I was more thinking about the "mental health" stuff and the "eating disorder" stuff....I have no physical health issues that I know of...I just wondered if you said "yes" that you have had depression previously, for example, if that would be something negative???  I work in mental health and addictions so I feel like it's pretty normal that most people have some level of anxiety or depression at certain points in their life - but just wasn't sure if "bariatric surgeons" and the social workers would think this is a big red flag for some reason??  And the eating disorders section - I guess I feel like if someone is at the point where surgery is needed, obviously they/our eating is not "ordered", but rather "disordered".  
Are there specific reasons people get refused though, out of curiosity? I really don't know and just wondered...

You don't sound harsh....lol...I am being as honest as possible - but wondered what "they" viewed as red flags or reasons for denial....

Kerry

JJ_
on 7/18/12 12:29 pm
Hi Kerry,

They are looking at all aspects of your health, including mental health.  They are looking for stability (use of medication) or remission of symptoms. 

Good luck!

Judy
nata
on 7/18/12 12:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada
IMHO: there is a big difference between being professionally diagnosed with clinical depression, medically treated for it and, for instance, feeling blue or worried, that we all have experienced. We often use terms depression and anxiety in generic, non medical sense, while the questionnaire probably referrers to specific mental illnesses and formal diagnosis or treatment. Same with eating disorder - were you ever professionally diagnosed by a licensed Medical Doctor with any disorder? I mean we all overeat, but very few of us have actual, recognized disorders, like anorexia or bulimia.

Self diagnosis is not what we are asked about. However, if you have concerns about your mental health, you might want to seek professional help, unrelated to the bariatric process.

Good luck.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
starry957
on 7/18/12 1:02 pm
guys....I'm not concerned about my mental health....lol   

I'm an "over-explainer" so, I just wondered if I needed to explain each time I felt "depressed" with regards to , ie. divorce, post-partum, etc....even though I wasn't formally diagnosed....

thanks for everyone's input!

gardeninggal
on 7/18/12 2:32 pm, edited 7/18/12 2:32 pm - Midland, Canada
 Hi:

I am a newbie in the process and I too agonized over some of the sections about how much or how little to say.  For the most part the 'medical and physical' sections were easy as your physical history is what it is and can't you change that.  I have sought counselling to help get through some difficult situations and in my opinion, it is the best gift you can give yourself.  Those sessions put light on an area that was difficult and made all the difference in the world to me (marital counselling and divorce counselling).  I had a very difficult menopause that resulted in hormone replacement therapy, and many natural approaches and ended up on anti-depressant meds for a while.  The meds were needed and as time went on I was able to wean off and the experience taught me to take better care of myself and was much more aware of my mood fluctuations.

My advice: be honest in your answers but remember that this is in your own best interests as this whole bariatric process is to help you achieve success in the long term.  Bottom line:  we are all human  and that what ever life dished out before now  we ended up overweight and need some help in getting healthy.  It is your turn now and best of luck....the team at HRRH are great and are there for you!  Positive vibes 

Most Active
Recent Topics