Balance

NorthernStar
on 8/10/12 12:40 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Does anyone else have balance issues post-op? 

I was never walking a tightrope but I have noticed that my balance is very poor since surgery. There have been a few times I have been walking on a flat surface in my running shoes and have lost balance. I also notice it when I am working out, I can barely do anything that requires standing on one foot (i.e. stretching).

Sometimes, I must look like I'm drunk!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Bonnie ABC
on 8/10/12 12:42 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 When I had gotten down to about 150lbs lost I would fall over.   Before I would use my top weight in dealing with animals.   Nearing 200 lbs lost, then were dragging me everywhere because I couldn't figure out how to balance.  It does get better though. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/12 1:28 pm - Straford, Canada
RufusLynx
on 8/10/12 2:15 pm - Canada
I've had balance problems but mostly since I gained all the extra weight....so, post op, I'm hoping to regain my balance...

This may be a clue.... the change in weight, would possible change our centre of gravity and therefore our balance point...

Maybe this is a clue...

I'd be happy to hear from others about this whole issue.

Catw
on 8/10/12 5:10 pm - Arnprior, Canada
I don't have noticable balance problems, but I don't have the balance I had when I did Tae Kwon Do pre-surgery, but thought it was just being out of practice.

One reason that you may have a balance shift is that your centre of balance has shifted with weight loss and you are not used to it.  It could also be a problem with your ears, maybe talk to your doctor about that.  I remember hearing once that the part that tells us when we are in balance is somewhere around our ears. So fluid build up could cause some balance issues.  If you are feeling a bit dizzy with it, you could be having low blood pressure issues.

Lots of possible causes.  If you keep having it maybe call your clinic and ask the nurse.  She might give you a better idea.

Cathy

ShallowGirl
on 8/10/12 7:23 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Are you light-headed? I try to eat something (i.e. applesauce) before I exercise.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

NorthernStar
on 8/11/12 5:10 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Thanks for the responses everyone. It is interesting about the centre of gravity changing, I have noticed the balance issue more in the last 2 weeks than I did immediately pre-surgery so maybe that's it.

I'm not lightheaded at all, feel otherwise fine, but if I go to do anything on one leg I just have to think "WOW, I am seriously uncoordinated." If I am working out at home I will put my hand on a wall or a chair to steady myself.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

onmom
on 8/11/12 5:15 am
My center in Hamilton warned us our balance wuld be of for the first year after surgery to be aware. It is common but will get better.
birdiegirl
on 8/11/12 5:18 am

Totally agree with the others.....you lose your centre of gravity when you lose a lot of weight....I lost my golf swing for 2 years....had to start over again with lessons to figure out how to work it with my new bod

( on the safe side....jus****ch yourself in case ...you aren't that far out from surgery..)

Most Active
Recent Topics