My daughter wants to know why I don't stink yet

MissGlitter
on 8/21/12 7:10 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
 I warned my family that sometime during the first week of my optifast diet that I could develop a nasty smell.  So tonight my daughter and I were walking and she just goes 'Oh hey Mom, how come you don't stink?  Weren't you suppose to start smelling bad by now?"
So does it happen to everyone?  Now I'm second guessing myself and worrying that I'm adding too much to my opti diet.  I can't see how that is possible to be honest but paranoia...  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

gardeninggal
on 8/21/12 7:22 pm - Midland, Canada
 Ha ha

That is too cute!  But yes I have read of this too and am on day 8.  I noticed my breath was nasty but I was also aware of this before hand.  It is the state of ketosis that your body goes into and that is the fat burning stage and that is exactly what we want to happen.  I also found of course that I was on the toilet about every 1/2 hr and remembered that at the orientation we were told that if your urine was strong smelling you were not hydrated enough.  So that is another reason to get the water in too.  I know it will all be worth it!  The restrictions of this pre-op stage of intake has to give the body a shock I am thinking and just keep it in my mind that the liver is slowly co-operating for the big day!  Best wishes from me

Patm
on 8/21/12 7:24 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
It is your breath that will smell. Althoug I do not like gum I chewed it while on opti. Sugar free os course

hockeymom17
on 8/21/12 7:38 pm
Ive never heard of that, and it didn't happen to me. I was on it for 21 days, and never developed a "stink" ....
Cuter_w_Curves
on 8/21/12 7:59 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
I was on it for a long time and never smelled funky from it. I just kept well hydrated. Maybe only some people get that problem?

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

MissGlitter
on 8/21/12 8:06 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
 Right, I just ran round the house breathing at people and they were unimpressed but nobody noticed a foul smell yet.  Perhaps it doesn't happen to all of us.
Something I did notice is that I have to brush my teeth a lot more since starting it. 

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Heidi S.
on 8/21/12 8:17 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 I'm on day 8  and at day 5 I was eating sugar free mints like they were going out of style at day 6 i went and bought Lysterine strips a 3 pack and have them everywhere. I think I could take myself down with this breath. Those that didn't experience this were lucky lol. 

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Ottawa34
on 8/21/12 10:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I carried my toothbrush with me at all times and kept one at work ... I would always brush after a shake not because of bad bread but just from the after taste of the opti and sometimes i'd end up with a film in my mouth after drinking it ....

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

strangegrrl
on 8/22/12 4:07 am
 OMG Ottawa34 I sooo know what you mean about the filmy mouth after drinking the shakes. Soon as I had one it was like my teeth had a coat on. SO gross. I also had some stinky breath (at least I thought it was) I found the more water I drank throughout the day the less it stank. Gum seemed to help a lot too. 
Jason W.
on 8/22/12 5:34 am - Canada
Just wait till after the surgery......you'll be passing wind like an old lady...
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Most Active
Recent Topics