Vitamin K pre-op question - TEGH

Julia P.
on 8/28/12 5:48 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

After visiting 2 pharmacies today, I'm a bit confused about the Vitamin K prescription that Dr .Cyriac gave me.  He told me I was supposed to take it 10 days and 2 days pre-op, and said most pharmacies should be able to fill the prescription.  The first pharmacy had no idea what I was talking about, and said I could get it over the counter.  The second initially tried to give me an injectable, but I was certain that Dr. Cyriac had said it was to be taken orally.  Then they went on to say that they could give me a compound, but that K was in short supply across Canada right now, so they weren't sure when they could get their hands on it.

Can anyone who was prescribed Vitamin K pre-op comment on what type they were given, and the dosage?  I'll give Dr. Cyriac's office a call tomorrow, but am awfully curious to learn more about this in the meantime!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/12 6:02 pm - Straford, Canada
 I am afraid I don't know much about vit K re wls.  My spouse is celiac though and she needs a vit K shot whenever she's going to dentist or having any procedure that might cause bleeding, as she is K deficient (I think related to celiac) and as such she doesn't clot well without the K shot.  She's always gone for the shot, but again I think as celiac she doesn't absorb K well through diet (or pill form).   Hope this some how helps.  Regards, Ian  
Julia P.
on 8/28/12 6:06 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
Thanks, Ian!  I think it does help with clotting, and that's why they want to give it to me.  Interesting that she gets injections - maybe that's what I need!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/12 6:14 pm, edited 8/27/12 11:15 pm - Guelph, Canada
I was given a script for the oral vit k too... But because f the drug shortage at I beleive sandoz I was not able to get it... The pharmacy tried for 6 weeks to get it for me... If you can't get it filled don't worry to much Guelph still did my surgery without having it... Call your center tomorrow and tell them you are having a hard time getting it and ask for their direction.. Guelph just started using it in may of this year.

And as I said Guelph wanted the oral and it's not OTC its a script.. So don't buy the injectable without talking to your clinic
P_Floyd
on 8/28/12 6:22 pm - Canada

I was prescribed Vitamin K and found out it was a registered drug in short supply so not available in most pharmacies. I got mine at the Shoppers Drug Mart in the TWH. I comes in ampules which you break open and pour into a small glass with some water in it, then drink. Don't be confused with anything over the counter, or compounds or anything else. It's very specific and some Pharmacists don't have a clue about what it is. If they don't have it, go else where to find it on your own. Don't let them tell you to leave it with them while they fool around trying to figure out what it is and how to get it. It's also best to get on finding it now rather than waiting until you have to take it and rushing around looking for it.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Julia P.
on 8/28/12 6:25 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
Thanks for the advice, everyone!  I'm going to call the pharmacy tomorrow to get my prescription back... they're trying to make a compound out of the injectible, which I don't want them to do!  I think I'll just take the prescription into TWH or TEGH to get filled. 

I love this board!

Anna1963
on 8/28/12 7:57 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 02/16/12
Hi there and i had to get the injectible Vit K but had to take it orally and that was right from the surgeon who told me that.  Our pharmacy had to order it in and took a couple days to get it.  Good luck in finding it.
Anna

Kim O.
on 8/28/12 9:25 pm - Windsor, Canada
The injectable is the correct prescription. I just picked mine up. Instead of injecting it, we drink it. I got mine at Shoppers. They had to order it in, and it only took one day.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Kim O.
on 8/28/12 9:28 pm - Windsor, Canada
Dr. P-H said there WAS a shortage of Vit K recently, but that it is over. When you fill your script, tell them you want the injectable, and be firm with them. It is ridiculous that some pharmacists don't know what it is. Usually it is a tech who takes the prescriptions. If they don't know what it is, ask to speak to the pharmacist.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Happysmile
on 8/29/12 3:58 am
Shoppers Drug Mart at TWH is able to fill the Vitamin K script.
All the best with finding it.

Some pharmacies will make the Vitamin K. I called over 25 pharmacies when I was searching for vitamin k.

Happysmile
Most Active
Recent Topics