3 weeks Post-op

Scmelissa84
on 9/2/12 11:11 am, edited 9/2/12 11:13 am
Hi everyone,

I had my surgery about three weeks ago and have been having a rough time. I was in a lot of pain in the hospital, and needed a refill on pain meds because the pain continued. Pain from surgery has now gone down, however, my family doctor thinks I have either kidney stones or gall stones as I am suffering from a lot of pain in my right side which has been occurring since I started the Optifast. I went three weeks without a bowel movement, and just had my first this past Thursday, none since. Continue to take stool softener, and laxative as recommended by my doctor.

I started soft foods last week, and for the first two days was able to have egg, cereal, mashed potatoes and fish. I am drinking as much water as recommended with the two tbsp every 15 minutes. However, now I can no longer tolerate the mashed potatoes, egg, or fish and I have not been able to tolerate the pureed vegetables as of yet. Most times I am okay to have homemade protein shakes but I am getting frustrated.

I am going to go to the Bariatric Clinic on Tuesday and find out if there is something wrong, but in the mean time was wondering if anyone else had this experience? I start law school this week, which is adding to my anxiety and stress. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Melissa
Beth1970
on 9/2/12 11:32 am - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of it.  Hopefully things will starting moving and you'll feel better soon.

truckingbride
on 9/2/12 11:49 am - Harriston , Canada
Did your family doctor do any bloodwork and or ultrasound to confirm or deny the cholelathiasis or the kidney stones?

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/12 2:03 pm - Straford, Canada
 what truckingbride says!  What did GP do, guess?  
ShallowGirl
on 9/2/12 8:44 am, edited 9/2/12 8:46 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
By 3 weeks I could tolerate more water than 1 oz (2 tablespoons) q 15 min.

I also don't tolerate many foods but mashed potatoes works for me. I can't eat eggs at all ! and only some fish.

Given your pain, I would get checked out. Call your surgeon, the Internist (was it Dr. Glazer -- definitely tell him). At best the clinic will tell you to call those people.

Don't worry too much about law school.   They don't do anything the first week and the failure rate is almost non existant (1% or something).  They don't tell you that because they don't want you to get complacent.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics